News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: What’s More Important: Surgeon or Technique?

• HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: What’s More Important: Surgeon or Technique?

Posted by drtowfigh on August 15, 2023 at 7:19 am

HerniaTalk LIVE is a weekly Q&A hosted by Dr Shirin Towfigh, hernia surgeon expert at the Beverly Hills Hernia Center, with invited special Guests to answer your hernia-related questions.

Topic: What’s More Important: Surgeon or Technique?

Join us this Tuesday 08/15/2023, at 4:30 pm Pacific time (GMT -7) as a Facebook Live (@Dr.Towfigh). You can also register to join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Vyt7z4JxRE6rzmmdSj2a0Q

You can watch archived episodes of HerniaTalk LIVE on http://www.YouTube.com/@herniadoc

drtowfigh replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 19, 2023 at 12:13 pm

Yes. All professional athletes I’ve operated on so far have had laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairs with mesh.

For their umbilical hernias, all but one was non-mesh. These were all small hernias.

Biologic or absorbable meshes are improving. Almost all of the newer ones have clinical trials showing okay results.

• Alephy

August 19, 2023 at 4:59 am

Nice video! @drtowfigh I was wondering, you mentioned you operated on professional basketball players: can I ask if you used mesh for some of those cases?

You also mentioned biological meshes for those patients allergic to synthetic meshes: are the bio meshes getting better? Was there a conclusive study on the recurrence rate for those?

Thanks again!

• drtowfigh

August 17, 2023 at 1:37 am

Discussed this week!

• David M

August 15, 2023 at 7:33 pm

That is an excellent question by John concerning the importance of knowing the hernia location beforehand and one that I hope Dr Towfigh will cover in her talk. Some surgeons will say it doesn’t matter because the operation would be the same regardless, but I don’t think all surgeons agree. Perhaps the way the cremaster is handled would be different with some, depending on direct vs indirect?

• John

August 15, 2023 at 4:13 pm

Is knowing if I have a direct or indirect inguinal hernia important in selecting a surgeon or technique?

• John

August 15, 2023 at 4:12 pm

Is an ultrasound identified inguinal hernia with a finding of “no definite reducibility” a cause for concern, or simply an indication that it was not clear on the ultrasound if the hernia could be reduced?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  John.