News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk LIVE Q&A: When to Remove a Mesh 10/12/2021

• HerniaTalk LIVE Q&A: When to Remove a Mesh 10/12/2021

Posted by drtowfigh on October 10, 2021 at 10:26 am

HerniaTalk LIVE is a weekly Q&A hosted by Dr Shirin Towfigh, hernia surgeon expert, with invited special Guests to answer your hernia-related questions.

Topic: When to Remove Mesh

Join us this Tuesday 10/12/21 at 4:30pm Pacific time (GMT -7) as a Facebook Live. You can also register to join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wlmGVbyuSdSOfO3gMYnR-g

drtowfigh replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 13, 2021 at 10:18 pm

I have had multiple instances where the operative report claimed the mesh was all removed and then I go in and there is all this mesh left behind.

That said, when Dr Belyansky says he removed 100% of the mesh, be assured that you have no mesh in place anymore.

Mesh remnants can be seen on MRI usually.

• ajm222

October 21, 2021 at 8:36 am

another great hour.

on a somewhat related note, i had mesh removed in february by Dr. Belyansky. he said he got 100% of the mesh out, but I have come across a couple of patients that had been told the same but found out later that wasn’t entirely true. i wonder if really getting all the mesh out is more difficult and uncertain than it seems.

regardless, i still have some soreness in the area. i am wondering if there’s any chance that some mesh remains, or something else may be causing the continued soreness. 8 months may still be somewhat early. i’ve heard some have seen improvement over many years. i also know that i was told i may need to accept a new baseline long-term as removal is a pretty major surgery and things may never quite get back to normal. just wondering what your thoughts were.

i have hit my out of pocket max for the year and wondering if getting an MRI is worth the trouble, to see if there is anything else going on. the pain i have i believe is somewhat improved since the removal but still present and similar to what it was before the removal. not sure if yet another MRI would show anything different. none of the previous MRIs showed anything concerning in the first place. but wondering if remnants of mesh might show up.

thanks

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  ajm222.
  • drtowfigh

October 19, 2021 at 6:59 pm

Hi everyone.

We had a successful session discussing When to Remove a Mesh. This topic was inspired by a talk I just gave at the European Hernia Society in Denmark.

You can watch, LIKE, and SHARE this session here: https://youtu.be/JAT5vevhHfE