News Feed Discussions How long can I wait?

• How long can I wait?

Posted by CKBUZZ on December 13, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and was looking for some advice. I am currently dealing with my second inguinal hernia. First one was repaired January 2009 on the right side. I recently moved to Texas and now have private insurance. About two weeks ago I noticed a bulge on the left side of my groin. I had the usual waves of dull achy pain so I found a doctor in my area and had them take a look. They said that they were going to put a referral in for a surgeon. Two weeks now and no word, when I call they tell me there is no news. I did call my insurance and I actually found out that they will not cover a hernia surgery until I have had the policy for at least six months. :unsure: I still have five months until then…

Last night I noticed that my scrotum has doubled in size. Also, the pain has increased to a sharp shooting pain and I am experiencing the “waves” of pain far more frequently.

I know that it becomes an “emergency” when I start vomiting and what not. Do I have any options to help me control this until my insurance will cover the surgery?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

CKBUZZ replied 7 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 14, 2016 at 5:00 am

How long can I wait?

The affordable care act prohibits a waiting period longer than 90days. So your insurance carrier and your employer cannot legally demand more than a 90 day waiting period.

• CKBUZZ

December 13, 2016 at 5:25 pm

How long can I wait?

Thanks for the help, I am located in Balch Springs, just out side of Dallas.

• pszotek

December 13, 2016 at 5:09 pm

How long can I wait?

CKBUZZ,

Thanks for finding us here and posting your question. I think it is an interesting one. There is data that suggests it would be safe to wait for a period of time. However, if you are unable to push it back in, pain is increasing, and your scrotum is enlarging then I would suggest getting re-evaluated. Although you are correct about it becoming an emergency there are mechanisms in place to deal with things that are becoming an urgency. Would be happy to discuss in more detail if you desire over the phone or our telehealth platform. You can signup at http://www.indianahernia.com and we will be in touch.

Hope that helps a bit. In general though if you are not incarcerated or strangulated you can wait a reasonable period of time before repair but it is impossible to estimate this without further discussion and exam.

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek

• pszotek

December 13, 2016 at 5:05 pm

How long can I wait?

CKBUZZ,

Thanks for finding us here and posting your question. I think it is an interesting one. There is data that suggests it would be safe to wait for a period of time. However, if you are unable to push it back in, pain is increasing, and your scrotum is enlarging then I would suggest getting re-evaluated. Although you are correct about it becoming an emergency there are mechanisms in place to deal with things that are becoming an urgency. Would be happy to discuss in more detail if you desire over the phone or our telehealth platform. You can signup at http://www.indianahernia.com and we will be in touch.

Hope that helps a bit. In general though if you are not incarcerated or strangulated you can wait a reasonable period of time before repair but it is impossible to estimate this without further discussion and exam.

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek

• pszotek

December 13, 2016 at 5:05 pm

How long can I wait?

CKBUZZ,

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek

• pszotek

December 13, 2016 at 5:04 pm

How long can I wait?

CKBUZZ,

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek

• pszotek

December 13, 2016 at 5:04 pm

How long can I wait?

CKBUZZ,

We would be happy to recommend some hernia surgeons in your area also if you can be more specific where in Texas?

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek