News Feed Discussions How long did you wait?

• How long did you wait?

Posted by Dave Graham on May 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Hi-I developed an inguinal hernia a couple of years ago, and after medical consultation, I decided to put off surgery. Now it’s starting to give me some pain, so I’ve decided to go ahead with the surgery. Out of curiosity, how long did you wait for surgery, and are some of you still waiting? Thanks for your input.

goldenmsc replied 7 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Beenthere

May 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm

How long did you wait?

Dr Gould and Dr. Gold______ and one other, I think they work together at Froedtradt. I did see Dr. Wallace who was highly recommended but not sure if he is still practicing. Nice guy. I was lucky and could go to anyone the second time. If you can travel to see Dr. Towfigh or some of the others that post on this site, go . My experience was 3 years ago so some of my information might be out of date.

There is only the first time to get it right.

Not sure were I found this That a professional is judged by how close they come to perfection on their job and an amateur is judged by how big the mistakes they make on their job. I find this explains my first surgery(A) to my second(P).

• goldenmsc

May 23, 2016 at 9:37 pm

How long did you wait?

Which Dr.s in Milwaukee?
    Dr. Ujiki in northern IL has been mentioned.
    Thanks!

• Beenthere

May 23, 2016 at 9:29 pm

How long did you wait?

You can check my other posts but it is a long story which I still do not have answers to.

About 6 weeks after my original surgery which seemed like a very slow recovery, I was driving when a very sharp pain occurred in the groin area like a knife slicing through or being ripped. The remarkable surgical team just put it off and did nothing, no imaging but put on drugs. With the pain also came not being able to walk normally. My walking stride was reduced to half and my mom with bone to bone in both knees could walk faster. Pain scale was about a 7-8. About six months after the first a new hernia occurred on the other side. Very small but very painful. ER visit with CT.

According to my original surgeon he stated he inserted the mesh so tight it would never move. This was open with PMII after we had agreed that he would use lightweight mesh and identify the three main nerves, according to him when asked afterword about the nerves “no nerves were in the surgical field of vision”. I also found out after the surgery this clinic had a 25-30% 1 year post hernia pain, told 8% total problems.

My insurance changed after 2 years and I was able to consult with Goodyear, Ramshaw and Yunis. I would recommend all 3 but it came down to I had a place to recover near Sarasota which is how I made my final decision.

The second surgery was Lap and they found a femoral hernia on the side of the original surgery with open removal of the mesh on that side. I could tell right away that things were much better on the original side.

Ask a lot of questions and go with your sixth sense. I should have(sixth sense) but I was getting the same answer from everyone I asked about the original surgeon. That he was an expert with excellent results and performed hernia surgeries all of the time and was fully trained on all current procedures. Found out afterward he had not done one in about two years plus he never documented any of my history prior to the surgery.

There are a couple of Dr.s in Milwaukee, I would skip Madison and I am not sure on N.IL. this is my personal experience and research(I am a patient not a doctor). Anyone one/ clinic can or call themselves an expert. I have found a couple that are members of the hernia society or whatever the name is, does non mean they are an expert, they pay the membership costs. I will recommend again read the book Unaccountable. At this time I want to help and inform as many people as possible. This not the surgery I was told about when growing up that it is just a hernia, one of the most simple surgeries.

• goldenmsc

May 23, 2016 at 8:42 pm

How long did you wait?

Why was the mesh removed?
    Who did the surgery?

• Beenthere

May 23, 2016 at 5:05 pm

How long did you wait?

My first hernia I started the watchful waiting but the pain and bulge(right under my lap belt in the car)started to get worse about a month after the hernia occurred. With the bulge and the lap belt I was concerned about getting into a car accident that was minor but the lap belt causing more damage to the hernia. So three months in all.

My second to repair to correct what the first surgeon did plus repair a new inguinal hernia on the other side plus remove the mesh took almost two years between bad doctors and insurance issues. Found a great doctor and corrected everything.

• pszotek

May 23, 2016 at 2:07 pm

How long did you wait?

Sean85,

Thanks for your post and we are glad to hear some positive feedback. Can you elaborate for the group on what type of repair technique you had and how long after surgery did you return to normal activity in the gym. Thanks! Dr. Szotek

• DrEarle

May 23, 2016 at 12:34 pm

How long did you wait?

Happy to hear you’re doing well. You have experienced what most hernia repair patients experience, but don’t talk about. Thank you for sharing.

• Sean85

May 23, 2016 at 5:52 am

How long did you wait?

My original plan was to hold for a year or two. My inguinal hernia was very small (no bulge) and it wasn’t causing me any discomfort, so my surgeon said watchful waiting would be fine. But I ultimately changed my mind and had the surgery done just a few months later, as fear of making the hernia worse was holding me back in the gym and I just wanted to get it over with. And I’m very glad I did.

• drtowfigh

May 22, 2016 at 2:32 pm

How long did you wait?

There is a great paper published in 2006 in the New England Journal of Medicine, with a followup 5 yrs later. They had Veterans commit to surgery vs watchful waiting. They all had groin hernias with no more than minimal pain and discomfort.

They all did fine waiting. No major complications. A quarter of them were frustrated from waiting as they didn’t like the bulge and having to adjust it, and deal with the twinges.

Some wait a lifetime and never get their her I fixed. Some have it fixed within days. There is no right answer for simple hernias. But they all get bigger with time.