News Feed Discussions How long does a lap mesh repair last?

• How long does a lap mesh repair last?

Posted by tenreasy on April 10, 2022 at 4:27 pm

I am 61, 6’1″, 170lbs. Good health. I had a laparoscopic robotic mesh repair done for a left inguinal hernia done about 3.5 years ago. Never had any issues with the surgery or since. Typically will the repair last for my lifetime? Does the mesh stay intact i.e. continue to adhere to where it was stapled to? Do the vast majority of issues show up soon after the surgery is completed? I am hoping some MDs on the board can provide me with some peace of mind.

ajm222 replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ajm222

April 14, 2022 at 6:26 am

Sure thing. And certainly people have issues. Most people here suspect it happens a lot more than advertised. But it’s hard to say for sure. We’re all flying a bit blind. You definitely get a sense that mesh is terrible if you spend all your time looking here and in Facebook groups reading stories about problems. There’s no good way to survey the hundreds of thousands or even millions worldwide who supposedly get the surgery and don’t have issues. We’re kind of extrapolating here from a very small population out to the entire world of hernia mesh repairs. No good scientific way to do that, I don’t think. There are studies and things to help triangulate and make assumptions. But not a clear picture. The vast majority may be fine. Or perhaps many of them may have small or moderate issues they just live with. Who really knows. My neighbor has had two mesh repairs. No issues after a decade at least. Another good friend is the same. A third friend did have major issues but had another surgery and seems to be fine now. And a fourth friend has very minor discomfort from time to time but is mostly fine. Lots of people on exercise forums that I discovered has mesh repair 10-20 years ago and totally forgot about it. So they’re fine as well. My mesh was removed for nonspecific pain and discomfort, so I certainly don’t have great things to say about it. But it apparently had not been wrapped up or involved with any major nerves or other critical structures after 3 years. And I’ll never likely know why I had problems. Could have been more than just the mesh creating those issues, including the robotic surgery itself and unique factors involving my own body and mind. It’s a mystery. But regardless, mesh was created because there were some issues with tissue repairs. Most of the time it seems mesh is fine, but it also has issues. I think the one conclusion we can agree on is that hernias are more complicated than advertised, and the fixes are imperfect but the best that medicine has to offer. They have to be repaired eventually in most cases and you just have to hope that whatever repair method you choose works for you. Usually it does. But not always. Such is life. If it doesn’t work out, find a way to fix the situation. There are options out there is tissue repairs don’t work, and there are options out there if mesh doesn’t work.

• tenreasy

April 13, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Thank you AJM for your reply. I also viewed the HerniaTalk session that Dr. Towfigh had that is posted on her facebook page. It was quite informative.

• ajm222

April 13, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Every surgeon I’ve ever spoken to has said they’re intended to last for life. I have a number of friends who’ve had mesh for over ten years without issues. Mesh is not intended to be redone after a certain short period of time. If someone has complications, that’s a different story. Most apparently don’t.

• ajm222

April 12, 2022 at 7:37 am

The repairs are definitely intended to be lifelong. You may hear some people suggest they’re only good for a decade or something, but that isn’t accurate. But as with everything in medicine, the reality is that they haven’t been doing this long enough to have a ton of data on people 20, 30 or 40 years after a mesh repair. Most issues do show up soon after surgery, but it’s possible to have complications much later, at any point. But those are reportedly rare, or at least that’s what the experts will tell you. In short, the repair should last as long as you need it to, and you shouldn’t expect complications.