News Feed Discussions how much the risk of complications increases in case of bilateral hernia

• how much the risk of complications increases in case of bilateral hernia

Posted by saro on October 25, 2022 at 5:59 am

Are there any experiences / outcomes after surgery for bilateral hernia (open / laparoscopic)?

saro replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • saro

October 28, 2022 at 2:37 am

P.s .: In light of my few elements, I can only deduce that there are risks in both interventions. The “open sky” involves multiple dissections and therefore can damage the nerves and / or the cremaster, laparoscopy minimizes dissection but places the mesh directly inside the abdomen.
    The difference between having a mesh under the skin or in depth may also be questionable here. In the event of relapse, chronic pain or other post-operative complications, removal of the mesh may be the last but necessary option, and will be evaluated based on the access and status of the sling with the neighboring organs.
    Essentially, if I remember correctly, the EHS and perhaps also the AHS recommend laparoscopy for bilateral hernia; however, the research does not provide a precise indication of the golden standard.
    casuistry does not allow it

• saro

October 28, 2022 at 1:07 am

here are some results of my research on the site. Here we see that in some cases we have collected information but also have no answers about subsequent medium-term developments. Optimistically we can also assume that everything is for the best.
    in this case, for example, the removal of a mesh (after the patient learns that there were three) was not immediately successful with the Shouldice method but it was necessary to urgently reoperate and insert a mesh-

This is the comment (“meshagonie” is the nick name) :.
    “I had my mesh removal surgery with Dr. Brown in Fremont, California. He opened me up and was amazed to find not one, not two, but three individual meshes in me! Two of the products were the caps to nets, which are now rarely used due to the complications associated with them. The thorns were attached to everything. Dr. Brown spent six hours carefully removing my net. Man is a saint!

Despite his careful surgery, his sutures couldn’t hold up due to the amount of damage the previous mesh had caused, so the next day, I found myself with a bowel obstruction (this is why you stay in a nearby hotel to him – I regretted it I did not). My wife called him at 2am and after determining that I was too far to get to Fremont, he told her to take me to the nearest emergency room. I underwent emergency surgery where they entered a single piece of biological mesh. I am now on my one year of recovery and I feel amazing!

https://herniatalk.com/forums/search/meshagony/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  saro.
  • saro

October 26, 2022 at 8:54 am

hello Good intentions. Obviously I have read the posts, I think I have read most of them. I just have a hard time understanding the videos because I’m not a native English speaker. In fact, my greatest interest is focused on surgery on bilateral ‘open’ hernia. There is more literature for laparoscopy. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify this question. I also re-read something but, as you know, the medium-term effects are also interesting.

• Good intentions

October 25, 2022 at 10:50 am

Chuck had a bilateral repair. I had a bilateral repair. The trend today is for all laparoscopic repairs to be bilateral.

But unilateral versus bilateral is a minor issue. You’ve been on the forum for quite a while. You must be reading the posts.