News Feed Discussions How to instruct the radiologist to look for occult hernia in the MRI?

• drtowfigh

October 12, 2019 at 5:03 pm

1.5 T is fine for most people.

• wth

October 12, 2019 at 3:38 am
    quote drtowfigh:

As far as I know, Beverly Tower Wilshire does not have our protocol. You can share it with them. Beverly Hills Imaging does have our protocol, just a few streets away. As does Mink and Cedars-Sinai.

See our protocol, attached, and you can show it to them to see if they will follow it.

#MRI #MRIProtocol

Thank you [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]
    Unfortunately Beverly Tower Wilshire can’t follow the protocol, as they have standards to follow they can’t deviate from.
    However, I did find a place that my insurance takes that can follow the protocol:

United Medical Imaging of Century City
    NPI: 1053759811
    2080 Century Park E #104
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
    (310) 432-8000,

But they told me that they don’t have 3Tesla MRIs (which is preferred in the protocol), only 1.5T (which is acceptable in the protocol).
    How big of a difference is it for diagnosing the occult inguinal hernia? Just want to know if I should follow through or keep searching through the list of imaging locations to see if there is one with 3Tesla MRIs that also can follow the protocol.

Thanks!

• Momof4

October 8, 2019 at 3:38 am

Thanks for caring and sharing, Dr. Towfigh. I wasn’t sure if the protocol was something I could share or not. I recommended that wth call your office to enquire about the protocol. I should have known you would share. You have the patient’s best interest in mind, even if it isn’t your patient.

• drtowfigh

October 7, 2019 at 5:37 pm

As far as I know, Beverly Tower Wilshire does not have our protocol. You can share it with them. Beverly Hills Imaging does have our protocol, just a few streets away. As does Mink and Cedars-Sinai.

See our protocol, attached, and you can show it to them to see if they will follow it.

#MRI #MRIProtocol

Attachments:

• wth

October 7, 2019 at 5:30 am
    quote Momof4:

In my experience with MRI for hernias, you don’t need contrast and you need it with valsalva. Dr. Towfigh has a protocol that I have given to radiology. Important to call ahead because not all imaging centers perform the dynamic imaging. Hope this helps.

What is the protocol? I’m planning to get it done at Beverly Tower Wilshire Advanced Imaging Center (@ Beverly Hills), do you know if they perform the dynamic imaging including valsalva?

Thanks!

• Momof4

October 7, 2019 at 1:51 am

In my experience with MRI for hernias, you don’t need contrast and you need it with valsalva. Dr. Towfigh has a protocol that I have given to radiology. Important to call ahead because not all imaging centers perform the dynamic imaging. Hope this helps.