News Feed Discussions How to judge hernia size?

• How to judge hernia size?

Posted by Mtncamper on January 12, 2022 at 7:47 am

I have read a lot about watchful waiting but that you shouldn’t wait until hernia is large as it can become more difficult to repair. So how big is big when it comes to inguinal hernias?
    Thank you

Mtncamper replied 2 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Mtncamper

January 15, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Ok, wasn’t sure how that worked. Well thank you for all that you do for the hernia community.

• drkang

January 15, 2022 at 4:28 pm

Sorry!
    I have no US medical liscence, unfortunately.

• Mtncamper

January 15, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Thank you for your reply Dr. Kang! Do you have any plans to travel to the US to do surgeries?

• drkang

January 15, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Yes, of course. Since 2012, I have performed pure tissue repair on all inguinal hernia patients without exception. And pantaloon hernia is not rare.

• William Bryant

January 15, 2022 at 4:53 am

Can you repair pantaloon hernias with natural tissue

• drkang

January 15, 2022 at 2:56 am

Yes. Then, it’s a pantaloon hernia.

• William Bryant

January 15, 2022 at 12:59 am

Thanks Dr Kang

Is it possible to have both? On same side? Close together?

• drkang

January 14, 2022 at 2:57 pm

Hi,

Indirect hernias come out toward the feet and direct hernias come forward. Therefore, when coughing in a supine position, direct hernia still bulges easily, whereas indirect hernia bulges less or not.

• Mtncamper

January 14, 2022 at 8:11 am

William, sorry for the slow reply. Also sorry to hear that you are in limbo of sorts while trying to navigate the hernia surgery in the pandemic dilemma.

I do not know if mine is direct or indirect either.

• William Bryant

January 12, 2022 at 10:39 am

Hello Mtncamper
    I am sort of doing watchful waiting as in UK the wait to see NHS consultant is about a year or more now due to covid. I do think about overseas but so far not decided between Dr Kang South Korea, Shouldice Canada, Dr Desarda India,USA Dr Yunis or Dr Thomas or surgery in Germany.

But…the itchiness is getting on my nerves and I worry about hernia going in to scrotum. No ones really explained why testicle itche so much.

Plus I’m not sure if it’s direct or indirect!

• Mtncamper

January 12, 2022 at 9:47 am

I appreciate the info. Are you watchful waiting as well? It seems that with the pandemic, it is hard to get in for elective surgery recently.

• William Bryant

January 12, 2022 at 8:59 am

Dr Kang, in South Korea, by the way, will I believe perform tissue repair regardless of size.

But most surgeons who offer tissue repair do say mesh might still be used if they find it necessary during operation.

I think a poster here found that to their cost during operation in Germany.

It’d be an idea to check as it does seem possible to go in expecting tissue but to come round to find mesh.

It’s probably unavoidable in some cases though

• William Bryant

January 12, 2022 at 8:53 am

Ah the shouldice categories are

Walnut
    Hens Egg
    Grapefruit

Hope that helps

• William Bryant

January 12, 2022 at 8:45 am

Probably golf ball and or egg… I’m not sure all of those are listed on the shouldice questionaire.

• Mtncamper

January 12, 2022 at 8:21 am

So, in that list of objects, which would you say is medium?

• William Bryant

January 12, 2022 at 8:08 am

Yes it’s not easy that one. Thanks for asking as I’d say mine was medium but Dr and consultant refer to it as small!??

Also is it the bulge or the hole they look at?

Shouldice asks and grades along lines, from memory, of

grape
    Golf ball
    Egg
    Tennis ball
    Grapefruit

They won’t operate if it’s too small with no bump or too big such as grapefruit size I guess