How to judge hernia size?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion How to judge hernia size?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Mtncamper
      Participant

I have read a lot about watchful waiting but that you shouldn’t wait until hernia is large as it can become more difficult to repair. So how big is big when it comes to inguinal hernias?
      Thank you

William Bryant
      Participant

Yes it’s not easy that one. Thanks for asking as I’d say mine was medium but Dr and consultant refer to it as small!??

Also is it the bulge or the hole they look at?

Shouldice asks and grades along lines, from memory, of

grape
      Golf ball
      Egg
      Tennis ball
      Grapefruit

They won’t operate if it’s too small with no bump or too big such as grapefruit size I guess

Mtncamper
      Participant

So, in that list of objects, which would you say is medium?

William Bryant
      Participant

Probably golf ball and or egg… I’m not sure all of those are listed on the shouldice questionaire.

William Bryant
      Participant

Ah the shouldice categories are

Walnut
      Hens Egg
      Grapefruit

Hope that helps

William Bryant
      Participant

Dr Kang, in South Korea, by the way, will I believe perform tissue repair regardless of size.

But most surgeons who offer tissue repair do say mesh might still be used if they find it necessary during operation.

I think a poster here found that to their cost during operation in Germany.

It’d be an idea to check as it does seem possible to go in expecting tissue but to come round to find mesh.

It’s probably unavoidable in some cases though

Mtncamper
      Participant

I appreciate the info. Are you watchful waiting as well? It seems that with the pandemic, it is hard to get in for elective surgery recently.

William Bryant
      Participant

Hello Mtncamper
      I am sort of doing watchful waiting as in UK the wait to see NHS consultant is about a year or more now due to covid. I do think about overseas but so far not decided between Dr Kang South Korea, Shouldice Canada, Dr Desarda India,USA Dr Yunis or Dr Thomas or surgery in Germany.

But…the itchiness is getting on my nerves and I worry about hernia going in to scrotum. No ones really explained why testicle itche so much.

Plus I’m not sure if it’s direct or indirect!

Mtncamper
      Participant

William, sorry for the slow reply. Also sorry to hear that you are in limbo of sorts while trying to navigate the hernia surgery in the pandemic dilemma.

I do not know if mine is direct or indirect either.

drkang
      Participant

Hi,

Indirect hernias come out toward the feet and direct hernias come forward. Therefore, when coughing in a supine position, direct hernia still bulges easily, whereas indirect hernia bulges less or not.

William Bryant
      Participant

Thanks Dr Kang

Is it possible to have both? On same side? Close together?

drkang
      Participant

Yes. Then, it’s a pantaloon hernia.

William Bryant
      Participant

Can you repair pantaloon hernias with natural tissue

drkang
      Participant

Yes, of course. Since 2012, I have performed pure tissue repair on all inguinal hernia patients without exception. And pantaloon hernia is not rare.

Mtncamper
      Participant

Thank you for your reply Dr. Kang! Do you have any plans to travel to the US to do surgeries?

drkang
      Participant

Sorry!
      I have no US medical liscence, unfortunately.

Mtncamper
      Participant

Ok, wasn’t sure how that worked. Well thank you for all that you do for the hernia community.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar