News Feed Discussions I think I may have a hernia but I’m not completely sure

• I think I may have a hernia but I’m not completely sure

Posted by chrisjohnson on April 8, 2019 at 12:31 am

I have a small lump in my groin probably about the size of a grape, it is painless and appeared out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago. It was there for about a week and then disappeared overnight. Literally the next day I was scheduled for an ultrasound to get it checked out and the doctor said there was no hernia there. About 5 days later it came back, it’s been like 4 days now that I’ve had this lump. It hasn’t really changed size the only thing is that I’m scared it could be something serious like a hernia because I’m currently in the process of joining the air force and that could eliminate me from joining. I know this might sound really confusing but I really need some advice.

Good intentions replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Good intentions

April 8, 2019 at 8:48 pm

A controlled Valsava maneuver might make the bump show again. If you are subconsciously holding your abs tight, you might be closing the defect. A direct hernia bulge will disappear when you lay down and reappear when you stand up and your intestines press against it.

But, overall, it seems like you should go see a hernia repair expert, instead of a GP.

If it doesn’t bother you could just join up and let the military take care of it.

Good luck.

• chrisjohnson

April 8, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I was wondering if it was normal for hernias to disappear for a few days and come back. Also the bulge in my groin disappeared the day I got my ultra sound, I’m not sure if that would make it harder to detect a hernia or not but I am very concerned with all of this because I am supposed to leave for boot in August. They said it wasn’t a hernia but I’m not sure what to think of it.

• chrisjohnson

April 8, 2019 at 8:10 pm

DrBrown,

Yeah I figured that the only thing is that the doctor said it wasn’t there. They did the ultra sound on me standing up and everything, they said there was no hernia. So I’m a bit confused.

• DrBrown

April 8, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Dear Chrisjohnson.
    You most likely have a hernia. A standing ultrasound with valsalva maneuver should be able to confirm the diagnosis. I have taken care of many service men and women, and the air force will probably want you to have the hernia fixed.
    ​​But it should not keep you from being qualified.
    Best wishes
    Bill Brown MD