News Feed Discussions Ilioinguinal Nerve Adhered to Mesh

• Ilioinguinal Nerve Adhered to Mesh

Posted by DrBrown on February 15, 2019 at 1:04 am

Attached is a photograph of mesh being removed from a woman who had chronic pain after an Lichtenstein hernia repair.
    Please note the nerve scarred to the mesh. Unfortunately, I had to remove the nerve. But her severe pain is gone.
    Bill Brown MD

DrBrown replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

February 19, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Dear Chaunce
    A nerve block is the best method to determine whether or not a neurectomy will be beneficial.
    If a nerve block is helpful then I advise a steroid injection first. Occasionally that is helpful.
    A radiofrequency ablation can also be helpful. I advise neurectomy if conservative measures fail.
    Occasionally a neuroma will occur after neurectomy, which can be a source of pain.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Chaunce1234

February 18, 2019 at 9:18 pm

Is there any reliable way of knowing the outcome of a neurectomy before performing one? Are nerve block injections predictive?

• Jnomesh

February 15, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Hi momf4. Were you able to resolve the burning pain in your thigh that was believed to be the damage to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve?
    dod you have this nerve removed or respected and if so has it helped ?
    ylu can private message me if you wish. Thanks

• Momof4

February 15, 2019 at 2:18 am

I have had several nerves removed due to damage and pain and problems with mesh. I will take numb over 24/7 burning and tingling any day!!! So glad the patient’s pain resolved. She is fortunate to have found the right doctor for her problem. Thank you for contributing to this very informative forum.