News Feed Discussions Infected mesh implanted for 20 years

• Infected mesh implanted for 20 years

Posted by Jnomesh on February 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Hi I would just like to share that I was in touch with a gentleman from Australia who for twenty years was experiencing pain and other symptoms from a bilateral laparoscopic hernia mesh implantation.
    For years he wen to doctors and surgeons who said all was well and it wasn’t his mesh surgery causing the symptoms.
    Anywaus he couldn’t take it anymore and wen to see dr. John Garvey in I believe Sydney but he only specializes in open removals.
    Dr. Garvey referee him to a sugeon Douglas Fenton-Lee who specializes in lapro surgery .
    The surgeon only wanted to remove one side but the patient pleaded to remove both.
    So here is the Kicker-the surgeon removes both meshes and sends them off to pathology and to have them cultured.
    SURGEON thanks patient for convincing him to remove both because it turns out both meshes were infected. And if he had just removed one the patient would of still most likely expericed symptoms.
    20 years this guy was suffering while the medical community said all was well and it had nothing to do with the mesh.
    This just highlight one of the biggest problems with implanting mesh it is al ost impossible to j is what is going on inside the patient and patients are routinely brushed off when they complain.
    ot also got me thinking are these cases of removals being documented somewhere? Is there some sort of registry that removal surgeons are reporting these removal procedures to and the patients that come to see them.
    My guess is they aren’t being reported which obviously means no one is officially hearing about
    these cases.
    such a shame if this is the case

drtowfigh replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

February 2, 2019 at 5:40 pm

In Europe: most countries have their own registry
    in US: the AHSQC is the only hernia registry with longterm reporting. See the stickie on the Home Page.