News Feed Discussions Inguinal Mesh Removal

• drtowfigh

April 8, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Inguinal Mesh Removal

I trust Dr. Belyansky’s clinical judgment and technical expertise. I am glad you found him.

A bulging from neurectomy is most likely to occur if the nerve is transected high up toward the spine. The further down toward your groin area (and not your back area), the lower the risk.

Yes, lymphocele or fluid collection can cause pain. It should be aspirated to help.

• Momof4

April 8, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Inguinal Mesh Removal

I did see Dr. Belyansky and he has been great at trying to help me. My case has been very complicated because of recurrent hernias and lots of pain issues. When I have had a hernia it has always caused pain, so I can’t imagine leaving it open. It is hard to say if it will cause more pain for you. I was not informed of a potential bulge or atrophy after triple neurectomy, but that did happen to me. I’m not sure if that caused some of my pain or not. Dr. Towfigh did suggest in an earlier post that it could cause pain. I have since had an abdominal wall reconstruction and am continuing to have problems. I think I’m the exception, not the rule! I hope you get the help you need.

• LoriCx3

April 8, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Inguinal Mesh Removal

Thanks for the info. The dr I saw is Belyansky. Sounds like you saw him too. The only thing he said was that if he did a neurectomy that sometimes you can develop a bulge in the abdomen. He said that after he removed the mesh if in fact there is a hernia that he would not repair it but leave it open. Don’t know how I feel about that. It just makes me wonder if attempting to remove the mesh will cause even more pain in the long run then I have had for the past five years.

• Momof4

April 8, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Inguinal Mesh Removal

Sorry to hear of your problems with mesh hernia repair. I have posted on this forum under the topic “muscle atrophy”. I had a triple neurectomy after femoral hernia repair that resulted in pain. The neurectomy helped with some tingling but did not resolve all pain. I then had laparoscopic mesh removal and open repair three months later. Dr. Towfigh advised me that after mesh is removed that I may need new repair and it is good to have that discussion with your surgeon beforehand., to see how the resulting hernia will be repaired. That is good advice. I also developed atrophy after the neurectomy, which can cause problems as well. My surgeon is in Annapolis, MD. Where in Maryland is your surgeon? I hope reading the muscle atrophy thread will give you some insight. The best thing we can do is keep asking questions and looking for answers!

Page 2 of 2