News Feed Discussions Insurance coverage – in-network or out. Informal survey.

• Insurance coverage – in-network or out. Informal survey.

Posted by Good intentions on December 19, 2018 at 10:10 pm

With the renewal period coming up for insurance I’ve found that I only have one choice of a company that will reimburse out-of-network procedures. All of the others have changed their policies to one that pays nothing at all for out-of-network. In-network reimbursement only.

Are other people seeing the same? This will restrict the options for people needing hernia repair and/or needing mesh removal after a failed hernia repair. People might have to choose their jobs and the place they live based on their healthcare needs. Find a surgeon, then move to their network so that they can fix you.

Luke replied 3 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dog

January 12, 2019 at 8:15 am

Just to let everyone know that truly excellent doctor Jonathan Yunis …he takes 2000 without insurance for simple hernia..

• Good intentions

December 21, 2018 at 2:03 am

I found a page on Dr. Grishkan’s site describing the trend of what’s happening in the insurance industry.

http://www.herniasurgeries.com/cleveland-ohio-hernia-insurance.htm

• Ezzy

December 20, 2018 at 3:12 am
    quote Chaunce1234:

I should add that some clinics already do this. Shouldice in Canada is one, with an all-inclusive price for the entire 4 day stay, and Dr Thomas offers a single quote for a Desarda repair as well. There are probably others.

It’s really helpful to know cash prices for procedures. I have horrible insurance and always ask if there is a cash price. It’s hard to shop around when no one knows what anything costs! My general physician knows I like to pay cash, so he charges me $40-$75 bucks for a visit, which is less then if I use my insurance.

Besides offering mesh-free hernia repairs, this is one of the things I really liked about Dr. Tomas. The price on the website was exactly what I paid. No surprises. I did find a cash only facility in Maryland that would do a unilateral open hernia repair (with mesh) for $1,800 bucks.

• Chaunce1234

December 20, 2018 at 12:52 am
    quote Chaunce1234:

Trying to find a bright spot somewhere in this mess…. for private practice surgeons it could be a business opportunity, if they put together reasonably priced packages for various surgical options when paid directly without insurance.

I should add that some clinics already do this. Shouldice in Canada is one, with an all-inclusive price for the entire 4 day stay, and Dr Thomas offers a single quote for a Desarda repair as well. There are probably others.

• Chaunce1234

December 20, 2018 at 12:48 am

Unfortunately yes, very limited insurance options for the next year. Everything available is in-network only with a strict EPO or HMO network, with nothing out-of-network covered at all.

Of course this comes with higher premiums, higher deductibles, higher coinsurance, higher out-of-pocket maximum (and that only applies in-network, it’s apparently billed unlimited out of network), etc. Higher costs and more bureaucracy to no patient benefit. I imagine the same bureaucrats will harass the doctors and demand more paperwork and hoops to jump through for them too, just so everyone is equally miserable with the system.

quote :

People might have to choose their jobs and the place they live based on their healthcare needs. Find a surgeon, then move to their network so that they can fix you.

That is a disturbing thought, but it’s a distinct possibility.

Trying to find a bright spot somewhere in this mess…. for private practice surgeons it could be a business opportunity, if they put together reasonably priced packages for various surgical options when paid directly without insurance.

• Luke

July 11, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Not sure where your getting your figures but I was just quoted $3500 for a small indirect Inguinal hernia…which is almost double your $2k suggestion.