News Feed Discussions Internal inflammation with lap mesh

• Internal inflammation with lap mesh

Posted by David on April 28, 2023 at 12:03 am

Can some of you guys who have had lap mesh removed explain with more detail what the problem was?

I know that good intentions and Chuck both had lap mesh removed. Is the pain and the reason for the removals a sharp feeling of pain, or is it just a generally disagreeable feeling, maybe more like how one feels internal inflammation with a cold?

Seems like ive read that there is always some inflammation with the lap mesh. Is this something, or have I misunderstood?

David replied 11 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David

April 28, 2023 at 1:24 pm

Ajm, your description of how the internal mesh felt is very cautionary. It does make sense to me that you would feel this tightness, as the mesh has a structure that doesnt remodel like human tissue might and even is known for shrinking. Did you have polypropylene or polyester mesh?

• David

April 28, 2023 at 9:59 am

@ Good Intentions, could you weigh in on something that I may have read from you about how your peritoneum, the mesh, and the muscle were all fused together? Is this always the case, or was this something specific to your case ( or do I have that wrong altogether)? Also, can you give any better understanding of why you had it removed? Was there sharp pain? Was there just general discomfort? Were the negatives constant or only on certain activities?

• David

April 28, 2023 at 9:51 am

Chuck, I would prefer tissue repair and, secondarily, open mesh, but I’m not sure if I’m a candidate for either. So, I’m trying to get as realistic of a picture as I can for for lap mesh, as well, in case that turns out to actually be what I need most. Cant you envision, even given the negatives for some, that it might be the best option for others?

• David

April 28, 2023 at 9:22 am

Good post, ajm. I looked back to be for sure and read that you have had your lap mesh removed. Can you give more detail on why? What was the feeling or negative effects that led to removal?

I have a baseball sized direct that I have to have something done soon. It feels obvious that it’s intestines that are pushing out. While it’s reducible and it doesn’t really hurt, any problems with coughing that come up are making me more and more worried about how safe it is for the intestines to be popping that hard.

Given the nature of my hernia, I wonder if open or tissue will hold and think my best repair option – perhaps my only practical repair option – is lap.What do you think you would do in my case?

• David

April 28, 2023 at 12:20 am

With regard to the above comment about there always being inflammation, I realize that there will certainly be an initial round of inflammation as the mesh is incorporated, but my question pertains to whether this inflammation ever passes, or if the body continues to attack the foreign substance?

And would the inflammation maybe be worse inside the abdominal cavity as opposed to the inguinal canal?