News Feed Discussions It’s been 3 years since I had Robotic Iguinal Hernia Surgery

• It’s been 3 years since I had Robotic Iguinal Hernia Surgery

Posted by dand on September 1, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Haven’t posted in a long time but just wanted to add a positive post for any new members. 100% full recovery with no problems other than a painless seroma that went away 8 months post surgery. Briefly surgeon used DaVinci Robot & a progrip mesh. So everyone reading my post should make sure to do their homework in making the right surgeon choice & think positive in ending up with a successful repair.

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 21, 2019 at 4:41 pm

[USER=”1399″]dand[/USER] thank you for the followup. Who was your surgeon?

• Forest

September 18, 2019 at 12:35 am

I appreciate you posting. For those of us going through recovery, it’s good to hear, and gain hope, that we will eventually be just fine.

• seeker

September 16, 2019 at 1:49 am

Dand,

I appreciate your posting your success with your mesh surgery. For people like myself, for whom non-mesh was not a given option – even after discussing the possibility with several top hernia surgeons from this forum, it is good to know that some people are experiencing success. This is not to take away from the reality that many people are suffering from hernia mesh. It’s just not often one comes back to post that they are doing well years later and it is good to know about it. I have learned that anytime one has to have any kind of surgery, it is best to do your homework and try to make your odds as best as you can with a skilled and highly recognized surgeon.

I hope you can post continued success in the coming years!

Sue

• Good intentions

September 1, 2019 at 9:48 pm

I think that the post is interesting but not really useful. We need the name of the surgeon at least. I did my homework and got a bad result. Well-respected surgeon, chair of the surgery department, expert in laparoscopy, numerous surgeries performed, used Bard Soft Mesh in a TEP repair. The results should have been excellent.

Even with the name of the surgeon, the one thing that often gets overlooked is probability. The odds. The odds are one in six, at least, apparently, across the spectrum of mesh repair methods, that a person will have mesh problems. So the homework doesn’t help if we don’t know the details and the results, the history, of the surgeon’s other patients.

It’s still a gamble, with bad odds. The people who get good results can’t change the odds. Only collecting accurate long-term results across a surgeon’s patients can identify how to improve the odds for the individual patient.

The good stories are really just stories of an individual’s luck. No offense intended, but really that’s all there is here. You’re one of the lucky ones.

• localCivilian

September 1, 2019 at 9:01 pm

I think posts like this are important. Sometimes we can get caught up in a lot of negativity and it’s important to think positive. I’m glad all is well with you!