News Feed Discussions J&J, Gold Standard, Bard, the tide is turning

• J&J, Gold Standard, Bard, the tide is turning

Posted by Good intentions on January 30, 2020 at 6:56 pm

I would connect this to previous posts about transvaginal mesh but the old posts are not discoverable anymore by searching. (@dev I think that you can “reindex” the site on Google. I don’t know if there’s a fee but it is probably doable. It’s just 1’s and 0’s). I found it interesting that Johnson & Johnson, aka J&J, aka Ethicon, used the term ‘gold standard” when that is the term Bard uses to describe their hernia mesh. Gold standard is a pure marketing and sales term since all it really means is the use of the precious metal as a standard for valuing currency. It has no implicit meaning about quality, just quantity. It’s a meaningless term as far as quality or performance is concerned, that sounds impressive.

Anyway, here is a link to the latest in the wave of judgements against a mesh device maker. The truth comes out, eventually. Hernia mesh is next, I hope. Of course, it’s jsut a monetary penalty that will be folded in to cost increases to be paid by the patients through increased insurance premiums. But, maybe, someday, somebody with influence will see the con and do something about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/30/transvaginal-mesh-johnson-johnson-fined-344m-for-deceptive-marketing-to-women

https://www.crbard.com/Davol/en-US/products/Bard-Mesh

Alephy replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alephy

February 3, 2020 at 8:44 am

My take after reading about hernias and this forum is that the gold standard refers to a world of cost cutting where health is health insurance based…if money was less of an issue the gold standard would be different.

• Good intentions

February 3, 2020 at 8:29 am

Thank you for the reply @drtowfigh

You seem to be implying that the problem might be more one of misguided perception than a real physical problem deriving from the use of mesh. One of my main points in many of my points is that the “standard of care” is flawed and is biased toward an assembly-line like repair system, losing focus on the quality of life of the patients.

Does your manuscript address the reality of the problem or is it just about social media pressure on a real problem? I’m not clear on what you mean. Where will it be published and will we be able to read it without paying a fee?

• drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 4:53 am

We just turned in our manuscript that demonstrates the social media effect on mesh perception and how it affects our surgical care. It will be an interesting read for you.

At this time, mesh-based inguinal hernia repair is considered the standard of care (some refer to it as the gold standard) in the US.