News Feed Discussions Laparoscopic hernia repair – immediate recurrence

• Laparoscopic hernia repair – immediate recurrence

Posted by Marlop on January 4, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Hello –
    I would appreciate very much some feedback. First, a little background: I had laparoscopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair on Nov 21 2017. The left side was large and protruding the right side was small and not visible.
    Everything went great; very little pain afterwards and simply used Tylenol the first couple of days. But I noticed almost immediately that the left side was swollen as opposed to the right side which was not. The swelling diminished a bit by the time I had the post-op appointment with the surgeon 2 weeks later. At that time he showed some concern but assured me there was an 80% chance of being only post-op swelling. He recommended Motrim for a week and to see him again in about a week’s time. On the subsequent visit, 10 days later, he said that it seemed the hernia had recurred. I was shocked. He recommended 2 CT scans with and without contrast. I’ve had CAT scans in the past and I’m very concerned, for obvious reasons, to do not 1 but 2! I expressed my concern and asked if ultrasound was an option but he said he preferred the CT scan.
    Questions: (1) How is it possible for a repair fail almost immediately? (2) Would an MRI be an option? Is there any low radiation imaging option other than what he suggested? Are TWO Ct scans really necessary? (3) If it has to be redone, would laparascopic be a good approach?
    I understand nothing is without risk, but going in for a ‘simple’ hernia operation and be faced with this outcome is difficult. Needless to say, I am very frustrated, anxious and a bit depressed. Thanks in advance for all responses.

A very happy New Year to everyone.

Marlop replied 6 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.