News Feed Discussions Laparoscopic Hernia Repair after Laparoscopic Prostate Surgery

• Laparoscopic Hernia Repair after Laparoscopic Prostate Surgery

Posted by dand on June 19, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Had LPR 12 years ago. Can a laparoscopic or robotic large inguinal hernia surgery be performed?

dand replied 7 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • pszotek

July 6, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Laparoscopic Hernia Repair after Laparoscopic Prostate Surgery

Thanks for following up. This is great news. I agree with his assessment and would do the same. I did a gentleman with an old suprapubic tube yesterday and with care and skill it can be done. Dr. Jacob has both these talents and will do the best possible operation to fit your needs. Look forward to your updates. Paul

• dand

July 6, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Dr. Szotek just had a consultation with Dr. Brian Jacobs. He said I was a candidate for robotic or laparoscopic surgery… would not know for sure till he is able to check with a laparoscope & made a determination during the operation based on my healing from previous prostate surgery.
    I found him to be excellent & liked what he said & reviewed my hernia.
    I scheduled surgery with him & will post once I am post surgery.
    Thanks for your recommendation & I sent him your regards.

• pszotek

June 20, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Yes. Sorry about the delay. Dr. Brian Jacob is a world leader in hernia repair. He uses the same self gripping mesh that I do (no tacks in most cases) and he does robotics so you could discuss the possibility with him. Obviously I cannot gaurantee that he would offer it but he would be the hernia Doctor I would recommend in NYC area.
    Here is his website:
    http://www.nychernia.com

Hope that helps.
    Dr. Szotek

PS – if you would like to send me an email I can forward your contact to Dr. Jacob if you have problems getting in touch with him. My email is [email protected]

• dand

June 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Thank You Dr. Szotek. I live in New Jersey, New York City area do you have any recommendations for a local surgeon who performs transabdominal approach with the robot.

• pszotek

June 19, 2016 at 5:54 pm

The simple answer is yes but it can be much more difficult. Many surgeons would say no and we are taught to avoid this situation. However, using a transabdominal approach with the robot has made these cases possible. That being said the complication rates would be slightly higher and there would be a higher risk of conversion to open. Would be difficult to predict the possibility of repair without imaging on the hernia and an exam. Hope that helps a bit.
    Dr. Szotek