News Feed Discussions Left Flank Hernia”Rare”

• Left Flank Hernia”Rare”

Posted by Jason on October 15, 2016 at 1:52 am

I was diagnosed with a Left Flank hernia. I was in a bad car wreck 12 years ago with multiple fractures. Including my pelvis. Seen a doctor my hernia has a segment of my colon with fat sticking through it. The doctor said it is very rare hernia and very hard surgery. He scheduled surgery for 2 weeks from now. Telling me he would put mesh but it may not hold. From what I’ve read about mesh with infection and other complications. I cannot find anything good and effective for fixing my hernia online. All I see is the mesh repair and one doctor in Fort Myers using muscle I contacted him, he did not want to do my surgery. I have not been going to the bathroom regularly. I have had very much pain. Does anyone know of anything I could do or maybe point me in the right direction to a doctor I live in Florida. So far I have not had any luck thank you sign Jason Weaver.

Jason replied 7 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

October 15, 2016 at 3:10 am

Left Flank Hernia”Rare”

For this type of hernia, cadaver tissue will not hold and has a very high recurrence rate.

This type of hernia is best performed in the hands of a general surgeon or trauma surgeon who has experience repairing these particular traumatic hernias. In my experience, I have had to repair many of these as redos and it’s just much better for the patient to have the first repair a secure one.

And mesh can always be removed. It’s just a risk/benefit ratio.

• Jason

October 15, 2016 at 2:13 am

Left Flank Hernia”Rare”

Is there a certain kind of surgen that does these repairs?
    I’ve also read once the mesh goes in that paticular area,it cannot be removed? “Nerves etc.
    What about using transplant?
    I’m up for a trial,I broke 13 bones in my car wreck,”not my fault”. That was 12 years ago. Now im 33 and feel like im 50. 2 doctors turned me down,even to see me once they found out where/what it was. I am on medicaid. And have 3 children and a wife. I need to stick around a lil longer. My family is worried sick.
    And the more I research the more I’m getting worried.
    “The scheduled surgery is open repair”.
    Not good news
    Ty

• drtowfigh

October 15, 2016 at 1:59 am

Left Flank Hernia”Rare”

1. Traumatic hernias are notoriously difficult to repair
    2. These hernia repairs must include mesh. Tissue repair is not an option. It will fail and there will be even more muscle tears, making the subsequent repair even more difficult.
    3. I perform these robotically. Laparoscopic repair is also very good. Open repair is not my preferred method, but is also a good option. It all depends on your surgeon’s preference, the size of the hernia defect, and so on.