News Feed Discussions Long term fully resorbable synthetic mesh thoughts

• Long term fully resorbable synthetic mesh thoughts

Posted by mst3k on September 20, 2017 at 1:42 am

Hi, I am wondering who has any input or experience with completely resorbable mesh.
    In my case, I have a small to medium size indirect inguinal hernia, now symptomatic after 4.5 years. doctor recommends lap with self-fixating mesh (Progrip by Covidien).
    However, he offers an option to try for some of his patients that completely refuse long term synthetic material in the body.
    He would use Phasix, made by Bard. It maintains high level of strength for over a year, and can take a full three years to fully absorb. The theory is that in that amount of time, the scar tissue growth has occurred and mesh is not needed by then.
    My doctor offers it, but there is no guarantee, he does not know how well it would work. It is very new, so initial patients likely still have the material in them. It is obviously not his first choice. I worry that in case of a recurrence, there would be a lot of scaring left, possibly making another repair difficult. I haven’t had surgery yet so I could always change my mind and try it.
    however, I would like some opinions, and if you have worked with similar materials before (keep in mind this is not like the Vicryl mesh that degrades quickly). I believe this may be similar to TIGR mesh, still a new product itself but maybe some have used it.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

September 21, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Phasix is a new and very expensive product. Final clinical trials outcomes have not been shared yet.

It’s an interesting idea, but there is no proof yet that scar tissue left behind is enough to prevent a recurrence. It may just delay the time at which you gain a recurrence. We will know more in 1-2 years.

TIGR mesh has had some success in Europe. It is not widely available in the US.