News Feed Discussions mesh complications after heavy lifting

• mesh complications after heavy lifting

Posted by routern7 on June 8, 2018 at 4:13 am

I have intense pain in the area where the mesh is. I cant bend over or even walk (I use a cane).

I saw many doctors and they say no way it is the mesh. They said mesh complications should start directly after surgery and that heavy lifting will never cause mesh to fold or move or cause this kind of pain especially after 1.5 years from surgery. But they dont know the root cause. MRI, CT and ultrasound are clear.

I did have tenderness after surgery but it was not blocking my life.

Please did you hear about similar experience?
    I would appreciate any reply.

routern7 replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • routern7

June 9, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for you reply.
    I have the mesh on the left side only. the pain is around that area. I asked where the mesh and that is where the pain is too.
    I lifted a door while volunteering and that is where I felt something went wrong. I have been doing it for a while but one lift I felt something went south.

Yeah I was surprised too, I really dont know what can it be. the MRI and CT are negative, but the pain is really bad, especially if I bend.

• Good intentions

June 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm

I assume that you meant Brian Jacob, not J Brian? They have the experience. I’m surprised though that they would make a blanket statement like that. Maybe they don’t know of or don’t believe the stories.

Still not clear what you me by “lifting”. Are you talking about gym lifting? Weight work? This is not a body building or weight lifting site where “lifting” would mean squats or dead lifts or similar. No offense. I’m guessing that that is what you mean, but you might mean something totally different. The type of lift, even if it is in the gym, might be a clue.

Also, the “area” where the mesh is is pretty large for laparoscopic surgery . Typically about 4×5″ at least after they trim 6×6″ pieces to fit the space. That’s just one side. If you had bilateral repair then you have twice that. So pain “where the mesh is” covers a lot of area. That would mean that all of your lower abdomen is in intense pain.

Sorry to keep picking on your posts. There’s just not much there to think about.

• routern7

June 8, 2018 at 9:14 pm

I am in NYC, I already saw J Brian and Belyansky. They dont think its the mesh but they dont have an answer for it

I did some lifting and I felt something went wrong, after 3 days things got ugly, I cant walk anymore and the pain is insane in the area where the mesh is.

• Good intentions

June 8, 2018 at 8:24 pm
    quote routern7:

I saw many doctors and they say no way it is the mesh. They said mesh complications should start directly after surgery and that heavy lifting will never cause mesh to fold or move or cause this kind of pain especially after 1.5 years from surgery.

I did have tenderness after surgery but it was not blocking my life.

Mesh problems are like a nightmare to surgeons that implant mesh and they seem to have a psychological block to dealing with them. The responses that you got are what they are typically taught in medical school or residency. The fact that you had tenderness and discomfort right after surgery, is, by definition, a complication. They are ignoring that fact. If you are just seeing general practice physicians they will go to the current references to learn about mesh problems and that is what they will read.

Can you describe what you mean by “heavy lifting”? It’s very vague.

Also, post a general location. State, city, metro area.

Good luck.