News Feed Discussions Mesh removal decision

• Mesh removal decision

Posted by Hern123 on January 8, 2018 at 11:57 am

Firstly I would like to extend my gratitude to Dr Dr Towfigh for instigating Hernia Talk .What an excellent informative site – invaluable especially with expert surgical input
    Unfortunately I only recently found it after surgery which I had 5 years ago .
    I live in the UK and having had chronic pain for 5 years am considering removal of mesh which was implanted during open surgery for a right inguinal hernia in 2012.
    Rather like some of the posts my original surgeon did not accept that it is the repair/mesh that caused the pain and I would recover.
    I attended a pain management programme in London and was listened to for the first time
    As vtjbrent says this affects one’s quality of life.
    Reading the posts is an excellent way to start to understand that removal can be safe if done by an experienced surgeon.
    I would welcome feedback on removal especially so long after original surgery. Also advice on the investigations that led to the removal eg imaging with dye
    Any recommendations in UK as well would be a great help
    Many thanks

LeviProcter replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • LeviProcter

January 11, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Removal is safe and with appropriate risks.

Real key is determining the cause of the pain first.

I would recommend seeing a surgeon familiar with groin pain and mesh removal.

In appropriately selected patients mesh removal plus or minus neurectomy is successful in pain relief.

• Hern123

January 10, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for the information. I know of one person who had mesh removal by Prf Sheen but do not know the outcome
    Regards Hern123

• Good intentions

January 10, 2018 at 3:55 am

Prof. Aali Sheen (aka Herniator) is from the U.K. so might know of somebody. But, he is a believer in the use of mesh so there might be some reticence to advising you. Worth a try though, and he is on your side of the Atlantic. You can click the box by his name ands send a message to him. He posted in the “mesh removal” thread I attached below.

People have waited much longer than 5 years to have their mesh removed. Good luck.

https://www.herniatalk.com/surgeons

https://www.herniatalk.com/5302-mesh-removal