News Feed Discussions Mesh Removal in Washington, D.C/Arlington, VA Area

• Mesh Removal in Washington, D.C/Arlington, VA Area

Posted by neumannb on January 3, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I had open surgery using mesh to repair an inguinal hernia (right) on 7/21/17. It was a small hernia and caused no pain or discomfort. They told me three weeks to heal, so I figured what the heck.

I followed doctors orders exactly as recommended.

I still have constant pain where the mesh was put it. I also have a raised bump under the skin that’s not on my left side. Is that common? The paid is more noticeable when I’m working out. But it’s almost always there. A dull annoying pain. I also have occasional testicular pain and get random pains in the area. My right leg/groin area and weird feelings of pulling and needles every so often as well. I also have a weird feeling this is going to somehow turn into cancer.

I’ve seen my doctor twice for follow-up. He dismisses any concerns I have and tells me to push through it.

I’m hoping to hear any input, wondering what information I can request from my doctor to learn more about my surgery, and I’d like to request recommendations for doctor’s in the Washington, D.C./Arlington, VA area that specialize in mesh removal.

I also realize my issues aren’t as severe as many of the posters here. And I feel for those that are worse off. It’s just so frustrating that I went in to have something fixed which wasn’t causing me any issues. And now that I got it “fixed” I have all sorts of issues. I’m very active, workout daily and play sports. I just had a kid. I don’t want this to negatively impact me the rest of my life.

Other important notes: Male, 34, type one diabetic for 7 years (very well controlled) A1C below 6.0

Thank you.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 18, 2018 at 3:59 am

In VA/MD: See Dr. Levi Procter, Sharon Bachman, Igor Belyansky.

The brand name is not necessary to help treat you, but can be found in the operating room nurse’s notes/implant log of your medical records.

• neumannb

February 6, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Update:

I’ve received the operative report which didn’t tell me the brand name of the mesh. I’m not sure how to get that.

I took two weeks off from the gym. Went back and did some light lifts. It was like I didn’t take any time off at all. Constant pain.

Took another two weeks off and same thing happened and I barely lifted anything at all.

Its ok when I don’t workout at all, but any time of exercise and i’m in constant pain the entire time.

My right testicle has occasional pain as well randomly. And hurts a lot more than I feel like it should or ever did before surgery.

I still have the numbness too.

• neumannb

January 16, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Thank you for your responses. I will try to respond to everyone.

JNOMesh, I do high intensity cardio and lift weights. I plan on stopping for two weeks as recommended above. It’s already been 8 days. It hurts less, but I still have pain and think as soon as I’m back working out it’ll go back to constant pain. I’m in the process of requesting my operative report and medical records. It’s very annoying.

Wilfred, I will send you a text soon. I’ve been very busy at work and will continue to be for the next few weeks. But I will try to respond as I can.

LeviProcter, I’ve seen my surgeon. He told me to work through it and the pain will go away. He told me he didn’t know what the bump was, maybe part of the mesh. I will keep your name and Igor’s in mind.

GoodIntentions, the bump is sort of parrallel to my incision but about a half-inch/inch above it. it feels like a thin ink pen that’s about 1.5 inches long under the skin. I don’t know if that makes sense. But it’s not on my left side. It’s where a lot of the pain comes from.

• LeviProcter

January 11, 2018 at 2:23 pm

I would see your surgeon if you haven’t.

I’m in Richmond Va and do mesh removal.

Igor Belyanski is a highly regarded surgeon fluent with this issue in Annapolis, Maryland.

• wilfred

January 8, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Hi neumannb
    this is Wilfred. I just sent you a private message. I would appreciate if you can please respond. Thanks
    Wilfred

• Good intentions

January 3, 2018 at 11:03 pm
    quote neumannb:

I still have constant pain where the mesh was put it. I also have a raised bump under the skin that’s not on my left side. Is that common? The paid is more noticeable when I’m working out. But it’s almost always there. A dull annoying pain. I also have occasional testicular pain and get random pains in the area. My right leg/groin area and weird feelings of pulling and needles every so often as well. I also have a weird feeling this is going to somehow turn into cancer.

Other important notes: Male, 34, type one diabetic for 7 years (very well controlled) A1C below 6.0

Thank you.

What kind of “working out” are you doing? Not really clear what you mean about the bump, and where it’s not. Where is it?

• Good intentions

January 3, 2018 at 11:01 pm
    quote neumannb:

I’m hoping to hear any input, wondering what information I can request from my doctor to learn more about my surgery, and I’d like to request recommendations for doctor’s in the Washington, D.C./Arlington, VA area that specialize in mesh removal.

Your medical records are yours, you don’t need permission to get them. Many facilities have an electronic request form that you can find on the internet. Some will send them with a phone call. Some will email them, some won’t. Some will put them on a CD and send it via mail. But you can always get them and you should. Your surgeon’s organization will have a copy of what they did, and the facility where the operation was performed probably will also, with records and lot numbers of the materials used.

You don’t need to talk to the surgeon, probably just a call to the front office will get it done. Any doctors that you talk to afterward will probably want to see a copy. Sometimes they can request them if the networks are compatible, but it can be quicker if you have them ready.

• Jnomesh

January 3, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Going back to doctor/surgeon will most likely be fruitless. Most surgeons will tell you to give it a year and then see how you are feeling.
    I’d do a number of things simultaneously
    1) get your operative report to see what your if mesh was inserted, how the mesh was fixated and any other things that might be worthwhile i for
    2) I’d layoff the working out for some time. Even though you have mesh as a reinforcer there are articles that mention even with mesh it can take up to a year to fully heal etc. I’d see how you feel after laying off exercising for a couple of weeks.
    3) keep the name dr, Igor Belyanski in your back pocket. He is Annapolis Maryland so not to for away from you. He saw that my mesh had folded on a cat scan I had and I had my mesh removed by him. He does quite a few removals. He can best assess what is going on and if needed can safely remove the mesh. However, removing mesh isn’t a slam dunk that you will be symptom free afterwards. It a case by case scenario.