News Feed Discussions Mesh removal realities

• Mesh removal realities

Posted by ajm222 on September 23, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Wrote a huge post. Didn’t save. So here’s the short version. What things should be considered when weighing to risks/benefits of mesh removal?

Disfigurement related to additional trocar scars and weakened abdominal muscles from neurectomy? More internal scarring and adhesions (tightness, nerve entrapment, just like with mesh repair)? Increased possibility of more serious risks, like testicle loss, excessive bleeding, etc.? The need to be even more careful for the remainder of ones days as the area will be even weaker without mesh (even if scarring has filled in hernia, and ones own tissue is used to reinforce the area)? Much longer recovery?

Just wondering if the doctors and others who have been through it could add to the list of things people should be aware of. I know it’s technically possible to safely remove mesh, in the right hands, but there are also many concerns.

ajm222 replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ajm222

October 5, 2019 at 11:17 pm

A month is still early as well for such a major surgery. Hoping he gets better. Thanks again.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    October 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER] facebook group. I think his about a month out. If yours didnt have any open component and was lap/robotic your odds maybe in favor with Belyansky.

• ajm222

October 5, 2019 at 12:35 pm

My surgery was originally done robotically, using progrip mesh. Was this younger person someone on one of the forums or Facebook groups? Might be useful for me to follow up with him.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    October 5, 2019 at 12:38 am

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER] Belyansky laparoscopic+robotic w/o neurectomy patients faired well [USER=”2042″]Jnomesh[/USER] can speak to this. However, open with neurectomy I am not sure so far what i’ve seen not good….was your implement open or lap? open removal recovery is not the same as open implement recovery … also depends on what your definition of recovery is verses his. A young 20 year old recently got his ethicon plug and patch removed by Belyansky open with robotic, I don’t think his doing very well…

• ajm222

October 4, 2019 at 10:15 pm

Well it looks like the site is back in business.

Thanks very much for your comment. That’s a very comprehensive list of complications.

Dr. Belyansky does removal robotically, and his patients seem to have very good results. He told me just to give him the word and we can schedule the removal. He just made sure I fully understood the risks from his perspective. Mostly just the possible loss of testicle (not yet happened to any of his patients) and possible nerve issues (mostly numbness). But he also seemed to suggest there are some unknowns as all cases are a bit different. I’ve gotten to the point where I feel that while my problems are minor to moderate depending on the day, I’m not willing to go on like this forever. And at 20 months it’s not likely to get better. He seemed to think no new mesh or even a tissue repair would likely be necessary afterward. But I’d be a little more prone to hernia later in life. But he said he places no restrictions on his patients, and that the ‘scar plate’ left behind should hold for a long time in most cases. Said the recovery is similar to the original surgery. I was kind of surprised at that comment. And he said it shouldn’t cause disfigurement or any other issues. I also don’t seem to have any neuropathic issues so hoping no nerves need to be cut, but I guess that changes if they’re stuck in the mesh.

I still have a huge decision to make though and welcome any other comments about risks. Thanks again.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    September 25, 2019 at 11:25 pm

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER] I’m glad you brought this to attention. I have not come across a single male that return to physiologically and physically normal state with an open inguinal hernia mesh removal, especially that entails neurectomy. Many are worse off based on what you mentioned above. Some of the testimonials include the following.

Collapsed groin, bowel proliferation, prolapsed lower intestines, and bladder. Risk of bigger larger indirect hernia. Feeling of suffocation, difficulty breathing due to no room under rib cage. Burning penis and testicles; sexual dysfunction, testicular sack dropping due to loss of cremasteric reflex from neurectomy . Indigestion due to lack of abdominal muscle dexterity. The IGN, IPG, and GF nerves all have a motor function and is not just sensory.