News Feed Discussions mesh removed, no nerves were cut, no hernia present, why do I still have pain?

• mesh removed, no nerves were cut, no hernia present, why do I still have pain?

Posted by JamesDoncaster on May 23, 2020 at 11:13 pm

As the title suggests, I had mesh put in to fix an inguinal hernia. This caused pain, which I suffered with for 6 months. The mesh was then entirely removed. The hernia was gone and no nerves were cut in the process (at least, according to the surgeon). So, why do I still have pain 3 months after mesh removal?

Is it just scar tissue? If so, will this pain improve with time? Do we have any understanding of what the cause of pain would be an how to treat it?

DrBrown replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

May 26, 2020 at 3:04 pm

@deeoeraclea
    Dear Deeoeraclea.
    Be patient. It takes 6 months to a year to get the full benefit from mesh removal. Also, consult with your surgeon to see if there are any additional treatments that might benefit your recovery.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• ajm222

May 26, 2020 at 6:46 am

that’s very good to know. most of the removal stories i hear from folks who had it done by very experienced surgeons usually note improvement, with certain aspects sometimes staying the same (though often eventually even those things start getting better over much longer time periods). not often a worsening of their condition.

• ajm222

May 24, 2020 at 10:23 am

Just out of curiosity, has this pain lessened even a little in the last three months or more, or is it basically still the same?

• JamesDoncaster

May 24, 2020 at 11:07 am

Less total pain after the mesh removal. Also, the very annoying scratchy foreign body sensation is gone. But, the pain at my right hip has remained. I was definitely hoping for more improvement than I got. But, I am still happy I had the mesh removed.