News Feed Discussions Mesh Sutures

• Mesh Sutures

Posted by Canterbury on June 23, 2016 at 3:09 am

Just curious if anyone has heard of a mesh suture technique being used and thoughts?

pszotek replied 7 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

June 25, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Mesh Sutures

Dr Dumanian presented his data at our most recent meeting of the American Hernia Society. Very cool idea and invention.

As I understand it, the product is intended to reduce risk of the current fish line-type sutures used to close fascia from tearing through the fasc and causing hernias. These are usually Swiss cheese-type hernias. I believe the purpose is to use these sutures when closing the abdominal wall. They are not yet ready to be used for inguinal hernia repair. Also, as far as I know, the goal is to use these the first time you need the abdominal wall closed (not necessarily at the time of hernia repair) in order to reduce the risk of incisional hernia repair.
    Excited to see more results. It’s a very innovative and interesting idea.

• pszotek

June 23, 2016 at 7:12 am

Mesh Sutures

Thanks. I know, as do the other experts on the discussion feed, Dr. Dumanian well and am aware that he his developing these sutures and technique. I personally have not used these sutures in a live OR setting. I have tested them in various laboratory scenarios. I suspect there is a very select number of surgeons that would have tried these sutures and even in that case I would recommend going straight to Dr. Dumanian for repair with this technique if you are interested in this repair as he is the founder of the operation and the sutures. The idea is that the larger surface area of the mesh sutures will integrate into the tissue and prevent the sutures from cutting through the tissue and or pulling out. I think in many ways the concept makes sense but I do not suspect that the sutures alone will replace a sheet of mesh in the repair of a hernia although this is merely speculation without long term data. In general I would recommend turning directly to Dr. Dumanian for the best results and more information on his particular technique as he has the best knowledge related to the use of these sutures.

I hope that helps a bit and sorry about the lack of experience with these sutures in particular and the lack of long term equivalence/superiority/inferiority data on these sutures.

Dr. Szotek

• Canterbury

June 23, 2016 at 4:26 am

Mesh Sutures

My understanding is it takes the place of a piece of mesh.

http://www.meshsuture.com

• pszotek

June 23, 2016 at 3:43 am

Mesh Sutures

Just wanted to clarify exactly what type of mesh and hernia repair you are referring to?

In general many robotic surgeons suture the mesh into the peritoneum when doing underlay mesh. Many also suture it in when doing other types of repairs. Open inguinals often suture the mesh in.

Hope this helps and please clarify so we can provide you with a more precise and accurate answer.

Thanks
    Dr. Szotek