News Feed Discussions Mons Pubis bulge

  • Mons Pubis bulge

    Posted by Tangher on May 1, 2018 at 12:06 am

    I am a 45 year old female and have swelling on top of my pubic bone, which a general surgeon says is subcutaneous fat and can’t possibly be a hernia. But my physician says its an inguinal hernia. Ct scan without contrast and hip xray show nothing. Could an inguinal hernia cause such swelling of the mons pubis? They say they dont know what it is. I’m at a loss. Its been six months and its still there.

    Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

    May 9, 2018 at 4:59 am

    Interesting, that is good to know!

  • Good intentions

    May 3, 2018 at 4:59 am

    My direct hernia progressed sideways, toward the center, after it broke through. It was a bit higher than the pubic bone though. I have not seen much written about where the material that pushes through the abdominal wall actually goes, with a direct hernia. With an indirect hernia, it ends up in the scrotum. But the direct hernia material goes wherever the weakest point lets it go, I believe, once it pushes through the fascia. There is a defect, material gets pushed through, and the sac continues to grow as pressure “bluntly” dissects a bigger cavity. My surgeon described pulling a large amount of material back through the defect, and I had what looked like a deflated balloon shape under my skin after hernia repair.

    So, in my uneducated view about how hernias work, it seems like you could have hernia sac material in that area.

  • Chaunce1234

    May 3, 2018 at 1:41 am

    Is the bulge on a single side, or in the middle? Is it painful? Does it move if you cough? Does it go away if you lay down on your back?

    A general surgeon should be able to determine if it’s merely fat above the pubic area, or a hernia. If there is doubt about it, you could request an ultrasound with valsalva for a hernia.

    Fat on the mons pubis area is fairly common, particularly if you recently gained weight, or are overweight, or obese, but some thinner people have fat deposits there too. I think it just depends on the person and their individual body, and perhaps diet and exercise. But simple fat on the mons pubis is not a hernia, at least as far as I know.

Log in to reply.