News Feed Discussions My Hernia surgery experience for Kangs repair

• My Hernia surgery experience for Kangs repair

Posted by texan on July 23, 2019 at 4:01 am

– My Hernia Surgery Review for Kangs repair

Hello my name is Jin.

I am a 46 year old man living in Texas, USA.

I got a hernia from jiu-jitsu sparring and working.

I received Kangs repair. It’s Dr. Kang’s own type of surgery.

So I made this review in hopes that my review would be helpful to anyone considering this surgery.

I heard that most hernia operations are easy with meshes, but I was worried because the meshes used for hernia surgery may have side effects.

So that is why I chose Dr. Kangs repair which does not use mesh.

Moreover, I am a truck driver and a forklift driver who has to occasionally lift heavy items at airports and warehouses.

I also train in jiu-jitsu, the martial arts which has heavy stomach pressure.

I had the surgery at Gibbium hospital in Seoul, South Korea about four weeks ago and today the hospital told me that I can go back to work and play sports.

So I plan to stop by the jiu-jitsu gym in a long time at the end of the day.

Actually, I’m still worried about it, so I will ask my opponents for a very light sparring.

But the problem is that jiu-jitsu sparring can not go lightly most of the time.

Summary

– Got hernia from work and jiu- jitsu

– Received a hernia operation 4 weeks ago.

– I was hospitalized for the night after surgery and discharged the next morning

– Severe pain disappeared a lot on the third day

– Since then the pain has disappeared. I had lived my days without heavy work

– Four weeks now, there’s no discomfort. I’m going to play jiu-jitsu from today.

texan replied 4 years ago 7 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • texan

April 22, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Summary for Kangs repair

– Got hernia from work and jiu- jitsu (Marshall arts)

– Received a hernia operation 4 weeks ago. (6/27/2019)

– I was hospitalized for the night after surgery and discharged the next morning

– Four weeks now, there’s no discomfort. I’m going to play jiu-jitsu from today. (7/23/2019)

– I have played jiu-jitsu 5 times lightly.. so far so good. (7/29/2019)

– I have been working at a warehouse and do jiu-jitsu 2 times a week.. so far so good (10/16/2019)

###- I have been doing good without any problem after the surgery. I don’t have any limit with my physical activities including heavy weight lifting.

It has been 10 month after Kang’s repair.
    (4/22/2020)

————————————
    About Kangs repair:

* Kangs repair is Dr. Kang’s own style of surgery.

* His surgery has no-mesh, no-tension (The recurrence percentage is bellow 0.5%)

* The cost is around 3,000 US dollar. ( I am not sure. Better to ask)

* Dr. Kang uses local anesthetic, he performed this surgery on a 103 year old man successfully.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    November 20, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Texan-accidentally put my response on pinto’s kang repair thread. please see that.

• texan

October 16, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Summary for Kangs repair
    (I am a Korean citizen, but living in Texas, USA)

– Four weeks now, there’s no discomfort. I’m going to play jiu-jitsu from today. (7/23/2019)

*** I have been working at a warehouse and do jiu-jitsu 2 times a week.. so far so good (10/16/2019)

————————————
    About Kangs repair:

* His surgery has no-mesh, no-tension (The recurrence percentage is bellow 0.5%)

* Dr. Kang uses local anesthetic, he performed this surgery on a 103 year old man successfully.

• texan

July 29, 2019 at 9:20 am

• texan

July 29, 2019 at 9:12 am

Summary for Kangs repair
    (I am a Korean citizen, but living in Texas, USA with green card)

————————————
    About Kangs repair:

• Kablooey

July 26, 2019 at 1:26 pm

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] Yes, I will be more than happy to share my entire experience traveling to South Korea to have my hernia repaired by one of the most experienced hernia surgeons in the world with this community. I am grateful for this group that helped me make this decision in the first place! I will share my experience shortly!

• Arkj93

July 26, 2019 at 5:09 am

I hope that Dr Kang can come to the United States soon and teach his methods to other surgeons who are interested in pure tissue repair. As someone suffering from chronic pain due to mesh I believe it is imperative that patients can get access to other types of hernia repair that don’t involve mesh. 12k hernia repairs is A LOT of surgeries and it appears that Dr Kang has excellent results with a small incision and minimal pain afterwards. However for many people myself included the cost of travel is far too great of a barrier to even consider seeing him.

• Good intentions

July 26, 2019 at 3:01 am

[USER=”2931″]Kablooey[/USER]
    [USER=”2941″]texan[/USER]

• Good intentions

July 26, 2019 at 3:00 am

Kablooey, could you describe your experience at Gibbeum Hospital, from start to finish? Traveling overseas is very daunting for most people. How you chose air travel, getting through customs, the need for a passport, etc. Many people in the States don’t have passports and only get them when they need to go out of country.

Texan. your story will help also. Real world details of the experience help people plan their own travels.

Thanks for sharing.

@Kablooey

@texan

• Kablooey

July 24, 2019 at 5:03 am

Jin,

I’ am happy to hear about your successful recovery. I am two weeks post-op femoral hernia repair with Dr. Kang and so far so good! I’’ll try to share my experience with this group shortly.

From my research the rate of recurrence with Dr. Kang’s technique is less than .5% He’ has performed over 12k hernia surgeries! But as he advises all his patients you should listen to your own body while recovering to determine what’ is right for you. I was walking and exploring Seoul, South Korea on my second day after surgery! I highly recommend Gibbeum Hospital!

Kinds Regards,

• texan

July 24, 2019 at 4:39 am

[USER=”2826″]patient[/USER], I am still concerned about hernia recurrence. But Dr. Kang told me his repair has no mesh and no tension. I asked him several times if I can play sports. He clearly said yes. But I will be careful as you told me for another month. I heard that Kangs repair recurrence is zero point something percent.

[USER=”2862″]kaspa[/USER], you are right. I got local anesthetic.

Thank you guys.

• kaspa

July 24, 2019 at 2:45 am

Patient, the downside of any hernia repair is recurrence. Tissue repair is the best option IMO. I think Dr. Kang was a wise choice for his large background in non-mesh local anesthetic hernia repair.

• patient

July 23, 2019 at 11:07 pm

[USER=”2941″]texan[/USER] thanks for sharing your experience, I am glad you have a good surgery and a good recovery, it is amazing after only 4 weeks for pure tissue repair you are ready to be active again. Just be careful, the downside of the pure tissue repair is the high risk of recurrence.

• texan

July 23, 2019 at 10:59 pm

Yes, about 3.5cm

– I have played jiu-jitsu 2 times lightly.. so far so good.

I’m gonna add review a month later

• kaspa

July 23, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Quite small and almost invisible. 3.5cm right? I can see you won a cool Korean ruler 🙂

• texan

July 23, 2019 at 11:44 am

I had indirect, right and my scar does not hurt any more. But if I squeeze, it hurts a little. They used some medical bonds instead of stitch.

• kaspa

July 23, 2019 at 10:03 am

Great. Can you offer some more details. Is your hernia direct or indirect. Right or left. How’s the incision scar.