News Feed Discussions My personal 7 day experience after 2-layer Shouldice with absorbable sutures…

• dog

December 17, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Jeremy B
    So sorry for your update! Not sure why it is not concern of your doctor?
    Just a humble suggestion only…If it were up to me i would get second opinion write away!!!!

Yes Dr Brown would a great choice… you can call to dr Brown on his cell {i already e/mail him about what happen to you } I am not the doctor..but to me if it was notated lot of inflammations….need to perform need to perform strong anti inflammation treatment after surgery
    Bill Brown, M.D.
    510 793 2404 Office
    650 703 9694 Cell
    I believe you need to have doctor who would stay by you after a surgery every step on the way !

Could you please let as know how long did you have hernia before surgery?…Did it get worse .like size and symptoms..pain…did you use belt to support hernia..what was your conditions before you went for surgery..any photos please before…i am sure your hernia wasn’t not visible when you lay down..correct …not permanent bulging ?

• Jeremy B

December 17, 2018 at 4:16 pm

The swelling remains unchanged unfortunately.
    I requested the operative Report from Dr. Grischkan that states: There was extensive inflammation and friability of the tissues.
    Friability? Does this mean my titues were weak and crumbling in his hands?
    Also the Report states that this was an Indirect hernia; I had an ultrasound performed in my home state of Minnesota and I was diagnosed with a Direct hernia.
    The reason I went to Dr Grischkan was that I concluded that a Shouldice repair would work well for a direct hernia.
    Had I been properly diagnosed initially with an Indirect hernia, I would have gone to Dr. Brown to have a simple Marcy repair performed with less trauma and reconstruction.

• Chaunce1234

December 17, 2018 at 3:03 am

[USER=”2329″]Jeremy B[/USER] How are you doing now? Have any of your symptoms changed?

Please keep us updated on your progress, thanks and good luck.

• Jnomesh

December 13, 2018 at 4:09 am

-To me that definitely doesn’t look typical -it’s most likely a Selena or a hematoma. Shocked that the surgeon would say everything looks A-ok. I’d get a second opinion.

• Baris

December 12, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Hi jeremy
    i couldnt upload the photo but il type what it states in the ‘post operative conditions’ letter from the shouldice clinic that relates to you.
    ’ After every operation, particularly after ventral (incisional, umbilical, epigastric) hernia repairs, fluid (blood,serum) collects in the subcutaneous space. It is always there, even though the volume must exceed a certain amount before it can be clinically detected. If it can be seen or felt as a swelling, it may become a cause of concern but is a natural occurence and should be left alone to resolve spontaneously. It is not harmful and attempts to drain it usually lead to rapid re-accumalation as well as the risk of introducing infection.’

• Jeremy B

December 12, 2018 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Baris; I think you’re right and I need to give it time.
    Did the letter from shouldice state that it is a Seroma formation? I just want to know what I’m dealing with here.
    I snowboard at an elite level and just want to get this thing reduced so I can start training this year.

Thank you all for supporting.
    This forum is a huge help to many.

Regards,
    Jeremy

• Baris

December 12, 2018 at 12:38 am

Hi jeremy,
    keep positive and do what you can on your side. Really and trully other than giving it time you dont have too much choice right now. If massage or packs work do that and as much as i remember it takes 8 weeks for the tissue in there to reach at least %40 healing. Dont blame yourself because travelling has nothing to do with it, the maximum damage it could do is cause you pain and not damage the repair.
    I had a letter givien to me by the shouldice clinic that states that the space were the surgery is performed can swell sometimes and can take up to 6 weeks to come fully down. They advise not to drain it as it will cause more swelling and fluid in the space.
    My main advice will be do not panic and have more procedures done which i did myself and deeply regretted. Remain positive and hopefully it slowy reduces.

• Jeremy B

December 11, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Chaunce1234, It does seem like it could be a Seroma, It looks like warm packs might help.
    I wonder if there is a chance something was left behind in there.
    Thanks for the suggestion on cold laser dog; I’ll look into it.
    I did have to travel; Drove from Minneapolis to Beachwood, Ohio (~12hrs).
    Very frustrated to say the least.
    regards,
    Jeremy

• Chaunce1234

December 11, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Maybe it’s a seroma? If so, a seroma is a collection of fluid according to Google which suggests they can take 4-8 weeks to resolve on their own, that also might be why you were instructed to keep active as movement might help the drainage.

Are you located near Dr Grischkan? You could always schedule a visit with the surgeon in person.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated with your case and progress.

• dog

December 11, 2018 at 5:55 pm

WOW..Man.. i cant believe he thinks it is ok …ask him ! about cold laser treatment for inflammation and healing…you can get it locally..
    My note …this experience telling me that having far distant doctor possibly isn’t a good idea… i bet if he was around Jeremy B would visit him already..

Another think ….Possibly few of us who was talking that Shouldice is too invasive…create so many damages to soft tissues..extend recovery…were correct ? The Desarda is the way to go ???

• Jeremy B

December 11, 2018 at 3:30 pm

dog, drtowfigh; I sent the photo to my surgeon, Dr. Grischkan of ohio and his response was: “Looks fine from this view. Just give more time-keep active”
    So I guess I’ll just ride it out for now since there does not seem to be an infection. I have started taking advice from Dr. Towfigh and starting to massage the swollen area. Its just so damn uncomfortable and painful; Muscles/skin seem tightly wrapped over this hump making walking difficult. I wonder what it could be, blood hardening up in there? It couldn’t be scar tissue could it? It would be great to see even a slight improvement.

Regards,
    Jeremy

• dog

December 11, 2018 at 9:43 am

I am not the doctor but i could contact him immediately and send him that photo…it doesn’t look swelling ..it looks like hernia bulging before surgery,,,

What is why it is important to find easy to assess sergeant who will be for you ..once surgery is done… we can easily find Dr..drtowfigh..i also had great experience to call on the cell to dr. Brown..sending photos was easy..

• dog

December 11, 2018 at 9:31 am

Dear Jeremy B i am not the doctor but sooo.big lump ?…it is like big hernia bulging before surgery…to me it isn’t swelling…I would send that photo to your doctor immediately ! It must be flat !

It is tell me one more time how it is important to pick the doctor who be available for You after surgery ..I am confident that we can easily to find dr. drtowfigh if we need her to help …. i also have personal experience how easy to reach Dr.Brown..you can call him on his cell…or send photos if you need.

• drtowfigh

December 10, 2018 at 4:23 pm

That’s way to large to be healing ridge only. See your surgeon. And massage.

• paco

December 10, 2018 at 3:11 pm

The lump could be internal serous fluid or a seroma. Ask your dr.

Do you perform your daily cures?

My indications were first cure and clean after 48h, then daily (or alternate days) cures untill one week after sutures removal. By the way, they imply removal and renewal of tape or dressing. Shower must be without direct water on scar and clean with soap.

• Jeremy B

December 10, 2018 at 12:48 am

Thanks for the input Baris, it’s not hot or red in the area from what I see. I still have the tape on the incision. I’ll send this photo off to Dr. Grischkan to see if it’s concerning.

Regards,
    Jeremy

• Baris

December 9, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Hi jeremy,
    The healing rudge is usually in line with the incision and is only slightly raised feeling like a hard mass and takes months to get soft. Swelling is normal after surgery and can take time but if your specifically wanting to find out if the whole lump is the ridge then id say no. You should speak to your surgeon and see what he says about the size of the lump and why the swelling is not reducing. Does the site feel hot? Or the incision really red?

• Jeremy B

December 9, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Drtowfigh, Is this the “Healing Ridge” ??
    I took this picture today (10 Days post op)

• drtowfigh

December 8, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Massaging may help reduce this faster and encourage your body to reabsorb any swelling and blood.

• Jeremy B

December 8, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Thank you Drtowfigh, Is there anything else I can do to reduce the swelling? It’s literaly looks like a hamster has been sewen onto the inguinal ligament. Ibuprofen is not touching it.
    Baris, to your reply; I had Dr. Grischkan make the repair.

Regards,
    Jeremy

Page 2 of 3