News Feed Discussions Need advice and Dr recomindation

• Need advice and Dr recomindation

Posted by Beenthere on February 21, 2018 at 4:20 am

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. Long story, wrong surgery done in 2011 inguinal instead of incision hernia surgery done. Femoral hernia on the same side happened six weeks later but wrong and no diagnosis by 7 different quote experts for two years, no imaging done. Second surgery to fix a inguinal hernia on opposite side with removal of original mesh on the other side and the surgeon found the Femoral hernia. Now fast forward to today,

Recently I was having pain, tightness and weakness on the same side as the original hernia and femoral hernia. Ultrasound with valsalva (no findings) MRI without valsalva done with the following results both read and reports written by residents. The imaging report on both imaging studies do not mention mesh, surgical clips or the missing inferior epigastric vessel on right side.

1. Findings consistent with partial tearing of the aponeurotic plate inferior
    margin.
    2. Mild primary degenerative changes of the pubic symphysis.
    I have the images and report.

What does the diagnosis mean and who is the best surgeon to see in the US based in Wisconsin.

What to do now?

I am getting very tried of battling this for 7 plus years!

Beenthere replied 6 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Beenthere

February 24, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Thanks, Good intentions

I agree with you on the current state of out medical system. I am tried of talking to quote professionals that can not even answers simple questions unless they on a script!

I did check the DR’s website and it looks like he does not do sports hernia surgery but depending on my next consult and moving forward I will inform next surgeon his name and contact information. I do have my post op report and images.

• Good intentions

February 23, 2018 at 7:56 pm
    quote Beenthere:

About 5 years ago to this date, went to have the mesh removed and a small inguinal hernia on the other side fixed and the Dr. found a femoral hernia on the original hernia side. Pain gone and movement restored.

Have you contacted the surgeon who fixed the poor first surgery, 5 years ago? One of the problems with our big bureaucratic medical system is that doctors lose touch with their patients. They don’t know if what they did worked, or how well it worked if it did. He/she might have some thoughts on what happened. You might have something in common with their former patients. They might have a solution already in place. Worth contacting them anyway, just to let them know.

• Beenthere

February 23, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Thanks,

I have been on this forum for years but most of my older posts are not on the forum any longer.

2011 wrong and botched Inguinal surgery by a surgeon that I was told was an expert and performed hernia surgeries all of the time and had done well over 1,000 but I found out years later he had done none in the previous 18 months! For some reason it took him 1 1/2 to do a simple open inguinal surgery. Also he stated he inserted the mesh so tight it would never move, when asked post surgery what about the 3 main nerves he quoted not in the surgical field, stated he had to remove the inferior epigastric vessels don’t worry you are not a woman, so your chance of breast cancer is small. According to one of the top hernia surgeon he stated in his 15K open surgeries he had never had to remove the inferior epigastric! I think my original surgeon figuring out I was not a woman was about the only truthful statement and findings from him. Nothing in my pre surgiclal visits has any notes but two different dates with groin and genital exam. No recommended treatment or findings of any hernia or description of a hernia.

Slow recovery and about 7 weeks later while driving an extremely sharp pain and felt like a ripping in the area. Called the Dr. and no physical exam or imaging was performed but put on drugs.

About 5 years ago to this date, went to have the mesh removed and a small inguinal hernia on the other side fixed and the Dr. found a femoral hernia on the original hernia side. Pain gone and movement restored.. Nice to find out I had a potential fatal condition that supposedly one of the top medical care facility did nothing.

About 5 months ago on and off pain, discomfort, tenderness, feeling like I am stepping on small pebble in the area maybe(hard to describe) and when doing kegel’s if feels like the spermatic cord is rubbing on something. Saw the top sports medicine Dr. in the area who ordered MRI w/o valsalva and found the following

1. Findings consistent with partial tearing of the aponeurotic plate inferior
    margin.(sports hernia according to him)
    2. Mild primary degenerative changes of the pubic symphysis.
    I have the images and report.

Scheduled to see a GENERAL SURGEON next week at the same hospital as my first surgery(you can imagine how I feel about this and this hospital sent a star NCAA football player to Germany to have his sports hernia done, confidence builder) and PT set up. Is ART better than PT alone for therapy?

I can see anyone in the nation and with my prior surgeries I think I need to see someone that really knows what they are doing with my past surgeries. Meyer, Brown and Burnt are names that keep coming up. I now know all about inguinal and femoral hernias and who to see but this is new to me.

By the way, I think my original surgeon is now the director of general surgery at a large teaching hospital!!!!

• Chaunce1234

February 22, 2018 at 2:22 am

I am a just fellow patient, not a doctor. Here are some questions that may be helpful for this forum and future clinical visits:

What is your pain like? Where is it located? Do you currently have a mesh repair or was the mesh removed? Was it laparoscopic or open? Did the pain exist before the hernia repair, or did it only appear after the repair? Did pain change from before or after the repair? Are you athletic? Do you have a specific event when pain first appeared? Have you ever had a nerve block and did it help? Does anything specifically help the pain or make it worse?

Have you been checked for athletic pubalgia or osteitis pubis? You can research these on your own as well to see if they fit descriptions of what you are experiencing.

Are you able to consistently replicate the pain with adductor strain? Try laying flat, placing something between your two knees (like a tennis ball or someone elses fist) and squeeze the knees together like you are trying to crush the tennis ball – does that elicit strong pain? That is a common test done for adductor injuries. You can find many other physical tests for replicating pain from groin and pelvic injuries, resisted sit-ups is another common one.

Perhaps seek out a pelvic / groin pain expert, but you may have to travel.

For example, Dr William Meyers and Vincera Institute in Philadelphia is highly regarded, routinely performs procedures on professional athletes. You can contact them, send your images (MRI etc, operative reports, etc), and they may review your case for you. Just a thought.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your case and progress.