News Feed Discussions Need advice whether to have surgery or not.

• kevin-pa

November 14, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Thank you for all the replies. This forum is a positive support system.

• miner

November 10, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I was initially diagnosed about 2 years ago with a inguinal hernia. Ive been waiting but I dont have a bulge and the surgeon I saw was not 100% certain it was in fact a hernia and he would consider the surgery exploratory. He mentioned my risk level was the same as everyone else walking down the street. When the words exploratory were mentioned to me that meant wait until its gets worse. I have continued to research other surgeons as I do have sensations in that area that I wish I didnt.

If it ever restricts my activity though Id be quick to go in.

I would suggest putting together a long list of questions for the surgeon and make a decision after your next appt. If you dont like the answers delay and go to another surgeon

• Chaunce1234

November 10, 2017 at 2:31 am

Personally, if I had a small hernia that was not bothering me at all, and that a surgeon told me was low risk and thus suitable for watchful waiting, then I would likely wait. But if your hernia is painful or bothering you, or if a surgeon says it is risky, then of course consider surgery.

Aim to be comfortable with both your surgeon (or their expertise) and the procedure itself.

What symptoms do you currently experience? What procedure are you considering?

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can provide you with the name(s) of some regional hernia experts near you. It can be beneficial to get a second opinion.

Good luck, keep us updated on your decisions and progress.

• Good intentions

November 10, 2017 at 2:07 am

Here’s another thought – talk to a surgeon who removes mesh, even though there are few. You’ll probably get more in-depth advice one-on-one than on the internet. Most of them also use it for repair, from what I’ve been able to figure out, so should know what to use and how to use it. They will have seen what can go wrong and might offer some advice on how to avoid the problems. You might even decide to have them do the work if they’re available. Get several opinions, if you can.

• Good intentions

November 10, 2017 at 1:49 am
    quote kevin-pa:

I’ve been to my PCP and the nurse practitioner for the surgeon I have chosen. He is the chief of surgery in a medium-sized city hospital. They all advised me to get it fixed, but also if it’s not painful then waiting is fine until a better time.

I have scheduled a surgery date for Nov. 30th of this year, but I do see the surgeon in 9 days to discuss.

I am just extremely worried that I am rushing into this. I’ve read all of the horror stories about chronic pain, and I will regret my decision so much if that happens.

The number of permutations of “hernia’ and “mesh’ is huge. There are many different types of mesh and surprisingly large amounts can be placed if the doctor chooses to do so. Trust but verify, I would say. Find a doctor who can say that they have talked to patients years after the surgery and can verify that they are satisfied. You’re only 30 years old. The stories you’ll find around the internet about surviving the first three months after surgery are pointless. It’s the long-term that matters. The surgery itself is not bad, nothing compared to how you’ll feel if you get the wrong combination of materials and surgeon.. You’ll be looking forward to surgery if you have problems with the mesh implant.

Read through the link below, and search “SAGES” and “hernia” on youtube. There is much change happening in the field, and it’s not all good. Good luck.

https://www.herniatalk.com/5577-researching-surgeons-what-questions-to-ask

• WasInTN

November 8, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Kevin-pa
    I was diagnosed with IH sometime around 2008 with no bulge, no pain and nothing. Never knew even what IH was. PCP during a routine exam said I can wait since it was beginning to form. So I just ignored and continued my life. Till 2013 that is. I used to jog, do yoga and all. No pains no nothing. Then during 2013 I noticed a bulge forming and increasing in size by week. The pain was bad during bowel movement and sometimes during hoops shooting in the driveway. Other than that there was nothing. But during long drives when I sat for hours, the pain would kick me with sharp interruptions (thanks to the pain I never slept while driving. LOL). At that stage I tried the yoga and other exercises to see if the hernia could be reversed. Did not work. I also found my brother and father had similar IHs. My dad died without ever having a surgery and waited over 20 years and never had a bulge or anything. But my brother had bulge and had surgery after I had mine. Brother also had surgery on both sides. I had only right side.

Long story short, I got my hernia repaired in 2013 with Dr. Goodyear of PA with mesh. I flew there with family (wanted to go alone but family said nothing doing, we are coming with you) and spent 4 days. This was after research on Internet and talking to Dr. G on phone.

So my impression (note that I said impression, not medical advice) – Till the bulge forms you are OK to delay the surgery but need to be V-E-R-Y cautions. Once the bulge formed you are out of luck for waiting. You need to get it fixed or it will only grow further. If your lifestyle is like lifting heavy stuff then it will get worse quicker. But surgery is the way to go from now on. Which surgeon you choose what kind of surgery he does and what suits you depends on your heredity since IH runs in families and the tissue is weak by genetics. If you want advice from me I would first research your surgeon because surgeon skill is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in mesh surgery. If you choose tissue surgery consider genetics since it can reoccur. I would wait a month before doing extensive research and then go for surgery. I waited over 2 months after the bulge showed up, and yes and bulge is also not noticeable when you lie flat and pain diminishes but that does not mean IH has gone away. The yoga exercises etc., at this stage when the bulge has formed will only make it worse – from my point of view.

Now the question – what happens if your situation goes bad before your research and you are rushed to ER? Well that can happen and you will need ER surgery. It is that simple. But hopefully it won’t happen that way. Well it did not happen to me but that does not mean it cannot happen to you. It can. It is like driving on highway. Will you be safe? Yes probably. Can you be killed in an accident. Yes it is possible. So what to do? Stop driving on highway? You know the answer. It is an obvious thing.

Choose wisely. And if you want to know how to choose wisely, rent the Indiana Jones movie in which the steel shirt wearing knight tells Indiana “your friend has chosen badly,” and “you have chosen wisely.” Just kidding. Do your research, select a good surgeon, go in peace. You will be alright. With my name handle you can search this forum for other “wisdom” I threw randomly for help if you think you need any. But research well. I say this because a bad surgeon can screw up an easy surgery and can cause life long problems. All good luck to you.

• drkang

November 8, 2017 at 1:56 am

Waiting just does not make sense.
    Your hernia will eventually get bigger and bigger.
    Waiting is only delaying the decision time.

It is understandable that you are concerned about complications after a hernia repair.
    Obviously it is important to have a surgery with few complications.
    If so, it is better to search for a hospital or doctor who has a low-complication hernia operation, not just delaying the operation.
    In general, tissue repair is safer than mesh repair.
    So try to find a doctor who is good at tissue repair.
    I think that’s what you need to do at this point.

Page 2 of 2