News Feed Discussions Need guidance please.

• Jnomesh

January 29, 2018 at 1:31 am

If the mesh is folded it can absolutely cause pain. My mesh was folded over and had to be removed. You can look at my posts for the details

• Good intentions

January 27, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Dr. Sean Orenstein is one of the site’s surgeons, although I’ve never seen a post from him (I don’t know his screen name though), and is at OHSU. I assume that you’re in the Portland/Vancouver area. The wait time for an appointment with him can be very long. Dr. Martindale is at OHSU also. OHSU is a teaching hospital so a visit might also involve a group of students. Dr. Peter Billing is in Shoreline, just north of Seattle. Dr. Earle just posted a list of surgeons in a recent post, one was at the University of Washington.

https://www.herniatalk.com/6259-seek…emoval-surgeon

I’m not an expert but your level of activity before the “hernia” seems extreme. Seems like a “sports hernia”, athletic pubalgia, or something similar, due to overuse would be more likely. Maybe that was the true cause of your pain and it never got addressed.

I mentioned in a different thread the value of writing a letter. With a letter, the doctor can decide whether or not they have the knowledge and skill to help you, unofficially. “Off the books”, so it won’t count as a switch until you, and they, know they can help. I’ve had two positive responses using that method without scheduling a visit and a copay an all of the other insurance system requirements. You can send copies of your medical records also to get them there quickly. Put your phone number and/or email in the letter so that somebody can contact you quickly.

Good luck. I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with posting the name of the doctor your friend suggested, since he had good results. Might get you more feedback on suitability for your problem.

• LostNPain

January 27, 2018 at 3:38 am

Switched drs.

• Chaunce1234

January 26, 2018 at 11:12 pm

I am sorry you are going through this. Perhaps you should seek out a second or third opinion with a surgeon who has specific experience with hernia repair, hernia repair complications, groin pain, and related issues. This is a complex topic and unfortunately there are fewer experts out there than you might imagine there would be.

Out of curiosity, are you male or female? Was your hernia symptomatic before the operation, and if so, how? Are/were you physically active, an athlete? Assuming it is compatible with your health, have you tried taking an extended course of anti-inflammatory like naproxen, mobic, ibuprofen? Have you been to a pain clinic or had any nerve blocks or similar procedures done? Do any specific activities make the pain better or worse?

Where are you located? Perhaps members on this forum can offer some nearby experienced doctors that may be helpful.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on your case and progress.