News Feed Discussions Need guidance

• Need guidance

Posted by sands on June 21, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I have what I think is a small groin hernia, No pain to speak of but just a very small raised area that comes and goes, as sometimes I don’t see it all day. Two questions: Is it safe to do Yoga still and 2) Is watch full waiting my best option. Last of all I had stents put in 4 months ago so would anyone even operate while on blood thinners. Thanks

DrEarle replied 7 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • sands

June 21, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Need guidance

I am male btw, and the only male in my yoga class (lol). I guess I was just feeling down and afraid that I might have to give up Yoga for awhile, as I am very active. Once again there is almost zero pain. Thanks again for the comments.

• DrEarle

June 21, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Need guidance

I agree with Dr. Goldstein. Keep in mind, the watchful waiting data we have applies only to men. We don’t know if it is the same for women, and many surgeons consider women to be at higher risk of needing emergency surgery comparatively. The overall risk is still probably in favor of not requiring emergency surgery, but it’s just an educated guess. Let your symptoms guide you, and go with your gut. Pun intended. Hope this helps!

• sands

June 21, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Need guidance

Thank you, as I mentioned you can barely see it, it’s just my OCD driving me crazy. Thanks again and sounds like a plan.

• sngoldstein

June 21, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Need guidance

Sounds like a small asymptomatic hernia. Watchful waiting has been shown to be generally safe with a 1-2% yearly risk of needing emergency surgery. Yoga is probably beneficial as it doesn’t really increase intraabdominal pressure significantly. Coughing, sneezing and jumping increase pressure the most. You are definitely better off waiting at least a year after those stents when it is safer to hold the blood thinners for a few days. If you start having pain, then it may be time to reassess your situation. You may also want to at least touch base with a surgeon so if there is a problem, they will already know you.