News Feed Discussions Nerve Pain + Neurectomy question

• Nerve Pain + Neurectomy question

Posted by amandaloo on June 4, 2019 at 5:02 am

Hello,

if anyone and
    [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] of course could provide any insight to my questions, that would be amazing!

What are the typical symptoms of nerve pain — specifically ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, and genitofemoral nerve? My pain is a deep ache and I’ve had a couple doctors saying nerve pain is my source of pain.

Not sure if this gives any idea as to what could be causing my pain but I have the pain standing and walking and then during rehab exercises, I don’t have pain during but I have an increase pain (flared up) after the exercises (an hr or so later) and the increased pain / flared up pain does not go away or lessen.

Also, I’ve heard of neurectomy and I’m not even sure if that’s what I’ll ultimately be getting but what are some of the top doctors who perform those and have success with them?

Thank you, Amanda

DrBrown replied 4 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • DrBrown

June 12, 2019 at 1:33 am

I agree with Dr Towfigh.
    Bill Brown MD

• drtowfigh

June 10, 2019 at 12:40 am

Figuring out the cause of post-inguinal hernia repair pain is a complex scenario. Nerve pain has a very specific distribution of pain, depending on the nerve. If a nerve block of that specific nerve does not help with the pain, then it’s most likely not the nerve. Neurectomy should not be taken lightly. In my opinion, all other viable options should be considered and/or attempted prior to committing to cutting the nerve. There is about a 5% risk of neuroma and/or chronic nerve pain with neurectomy.

• rc009

June 9, 2019 at 9:06 pm

also I heard that “hydro-dissection” has worked for

this. Any comments?

• rc009

June 9, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Pain is a steady ache like it is being pressed all the time. By all accounts this is the GF nerve G branch ..there is some variation in intensity. . Nerve blocks have not helped ..I am seeing DR. Earle at New England hernia center next week. Ativan and tramodal helped but I had to come off benzos which has been hell. Can Dr, Towfigh or others comment on why neurectomy would not work? . Since it is a specific point of pain/constriction I cant see the need to remove all mesh..

• amandaloo

June 8, 2019 at 5:38 am

[USER=”1448″]rc009[/USER] also what type of pain do you have?

• amandaloo

June 8, 2019 at 5:37 am

[USER=”1448″]rc009[/USER] what about surgery?

• rc009

June 8, 2019 at 1:22 am

I have the same issues from mesh hernia repair but mine is worst when sitting. GFG nerve..There is a specific point of pain.nerve entrap likely. . 5 years and still seeking solution other than drugs..

• amandaloo

June 6, 2019 at 12:54 am

[USER=”2716″]Arkj93[/USER] thank you
    [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] dr. towfigh, do you have any insight / suggestions on who is a good surgeon for that?

• Arkj93

June 4, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Hi Amanda,

I am not a doctor, so please do not take my words as medical advice, but have you had a previous hernia surgery? If so, what kind of hernia was it, and was it repaired with mesh? Nerve pain can feel like many different things but usually it feels like a burning pain, tingling, or numbing feeling. As I understand it, the ilioinguinal nerve innervates the pubic area and the genitals while the iliohypogastric innervates the lower part of the abdomen, and the genitofemoral nerve innvervates the inside of the thigh. A “deep ache” as you describe it could be many different things (muscle pain, tendonitis, general inflammatory response). That is why it is important for us to know what kind of surgery you had and if mesh was used. Also, from what I understand neurectomy can be a risk and can sometimes lead to a neuroma which causes more pain. Neurectomy is traditionally only used when the nerve is caught in the mesh and there is no other way to solve the pain issue. As I said though I am not a doctor so hopefully one of the other doctors on here such as Dr Towfigh or Dr Brown can answer that one.

Be well.