News Feed Discussions Nerve pain? Suture pain? Mesh issue? Help!

• Nerve pain? Suture pain? Mesh issue? Help!

Posted by lkdivers on December 20, 2019 at 12:48 am

First of all, thank you in advance to everyone for reading this and extending any advice or experience. It’’s so appreciated!

For the sake of brevity I won’t include all of my many many prior surgeries here (I do have another post from a few months ago with more of those details) – I am a patient of Dr. Heniford at Atrium Health (Carolinas Medical Center) in Charlotte. I travel to see him. I am also ~10 weeks post op. He performed a repair of several ventral incarcerated hernias as well as repaired my lacerated external oblique (from failed oblique release surgery in June 2018). He placed mesh in the preperitoneal space. All was perfectly well until approximately 4 weeks after surgery. I developed a stabbing/burning pain just lateral to my midline incision very near to the area where my oblique muscle was torn. The area of pain is small and the skin is totally numb in the area of extreme pain. A lidocaine injection was administered on 12/11/19 with 30% relief for about an hour. The pain came right back (possibly made the pain worse). He recommended taking ibuprofen for one week and to report the outcome of that. His next step if ibuprofen doesn’t work (which, so far it doesn’t touch the pain) is gabapentin and a lidocaine and steroid injection.

This feels like nerve pain. He thinks it may be suture site inflammation. The pain is borderline severe – and I have a very high pain tolerance. The positive is that he does not feel a hernia recurrence – which is the first time in three years I haven’t had a hernia nearly immediately post op! Yay! I am curious if anyone has had similar pain in the abdominal wall. I do have a screenshot of the operative notes if needed. Thanks guys!

lkdivers replied 4 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.