News Feed Discussions New ventral hernia

• New ventral hernia

Posted by Ashah2574 on July 31, 2017 at 11:22 pm

hi I had a incisional/epigastric hernia operation back in march of this year. I noticed swelling and bulging so I had a ct done last week and there are 3 separate epigastric hernias. I’ve had 3 previous operations for epigastric Hernias but cannot get a good fix. This was done at dr goodyears office. Ventral light mesh was used in the last operation. The new hernias are 3.5, 1.5 and 4.5 cm in diameter. If and when I have this corrected again, would they put one large mesh? Or separately. Dr towfigh I am currently in japan but do travel back to Chicago and Maryland often.. is there someone u recommend I can see in these areas? I’m a male 42, 5.7, 215lbs

Ashah2574 replied 6 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Ashah2574

August 18, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Dr towfigh I went ahead and talked to shiela and will send out all my stuff to you soon.

• Ashah2574

August 13, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Original hernia was lap.. after that 2 open. Each used meshp

• Herniator

August 12, 2017 at 8:14 am

Hi – your original hernia repair was method was used please? how big was it and was mesh used ? – if open, +/- mesh then Lap repair is best way for you in any attempted recurrent repair – it is more painful in the first 24 hours and will utilise mesh – Dr Towfigh’s recommendations are excellent

• drtowfigh

August 7, 2017 at 9:07 am

I’m happy to help. Contact my office and speak with Sheila ([email protected], 310-358-5020) and she can make it happen.

• Ashah2574

August 7, 2017 at 12:35 am

Dr townfigh I’m in the states right now. I’d like to send my stuff over to u and go through the phone consult u have. I’m going to get my previous Ct cd and along with the current one send u both. I am overweight so that might be a reason but this just keeps getting worse.

• drtowfigh

August 6, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Hi, Ashah2574,

Thanks for posting.
    I would look into carefully determining why you had the recurrence? Do you have risk factors for hernia recurrence that should be addressed first, such as straining, nicotine use, overweight, etc.?
    Then, I would review the technique used by your surgeon to determine how that affected your recurrence.

In Maryland, there are many excellent hernia surgeons. Dr. Igor Belyansky and Dr. Sharon Bachman are two of them. Perhaps you can search on this site for more.

• drkang

August 3, 2017 at 4:49 am

Hello,
    I’m using Goretex mesh for incisional hernia repair to prevent bowel adhesion to it.
    I’m working at Gipum Hospital, which is at 122 Dogok-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.
    You may be able to localize the site on google map.
    If you have any question, please contact our hospital chaplain and English language interpretator Stephen Kwon.
    His email address is [email protected].
    Thank you!

• Ashah2574

August 2, 2017 at 7:53 pm

So dr kang what kind of mesh would u use and where would u place it? Korea is much closer to me than the us

• drkang

August 2, 2017 at 7:01 am

Hi, I’m a Korean hernia surgeon.
    I’m glad to hear that you are near from here Korea.
    I think you’d better put one large mesh after making 3 seperate hernia openings into 1 large one during operation.
    However, the most important thing is to close the defect itself by suturing tightly.
    Mesh should be used only for the reinforcement purpose.
    Thank you!