News Feed Discussions No mesh incisional hernia coming back?

• No mesh incisional hernia coming back?

Posted by Tracy Principi on September 2, 2021 at 9:31 am

Hi everyone,

I was here 6 months ago with a incisional hernia due to a emergency burst appendix. I was absolutely terrified of mesh. Sent me into an extreme panic response.

I had interviewed a local surgeon in Santa Barbara that had the worst bedside manner ever and he was a hell no. I interviewed another guy in LA that just uses one mesh for everyone- this seems to be standard. Whatever mesh they are sold on is what they use. Other meshes aren’t covered by insurance and/or they don’t know how to use it.

I ended up with Dr. Andrew Iranaji in Newport Beach. He is the only one that was very calming, answered my concerns and we went with open NO MESH. I believe he is a good surgeon. I’m not sure what techinque he used but he said he layered it multiple times. My tissue was very good and I had no scar tissue from previous lap surgery. I was hoping this thing would last at least a few years.

Now I’m possibly regretting that decision if it is coming back which 2 days ago I felt something snap like a rubber band. No pain but a very weird sensation. Now I feel a bit of that stabbing burning like I did when it first started. Doesn’t last more than a few seconds. And most of the day is ok but I brace for that twinge.

I’m sick to my stomach again. I lost 20 lbs during this thing from fear and terror.

I don’t have a diagnosed autoimmune but I know my body and I don’t respond well to any medical stuff. In fact, I’ve survived being very healthy, no surgeries only using alternative medicine and natural things until this.

I do not respond well to surgery. I get chronic pain and fatigue flares after that takes months to recover from. However, so far I do recover. STRESS induces my fatigue and pain. It’s a nervous system response. Anesthesia pain pills anything makes me ill. The cathater makes me have a bladder infection which I am prone to. It’s all a nightmare to get through.

I paid out of network I don’t think I can do that again if I need a redo with mesh which is my only option if this has burst.

Can anyone advise me on who also in Los Angeles would be a good choice to redo a failed tissue repair? Of course I will go back to previous surgeon to confirm.

Tracy P.

Tracy Principi replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tracy Principi

September 3, 2021 at 10:31 am

Yes that is him. Not sure if anyone on this board is familiar with him? Anyway, I sent him a video he said he didn’t see anything visible so I will go in. I feel fine today. Praying it was me overreacting to this strange sensation.

It has been an interesting healing process of different sensations for months. No same sensation. Then no sensations and now this. Strange. I feel everything in my body too. Every little thing.

• Good intentions

September 2, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Dr. Towfigh is in that area, Beverly Hills. You’ll probably want to use your insurance. But it seems early. Wounds will often have aches and pains afterward as they fully heal. Good luck.

Interesting that Dr. Iraniha offers a wide range of hernia repair possibilities. I assume that this is the surgeon you are talking about.

https://www.surgicaloasis.com/dr-iraniha/