News Feed Discussions Official Hernia Surgery Registries

• Official Hernia Surgery Registries

Posted by Jack2021 on February 12, 2022 at 7:00 pm

If only it was mandatory for people who’d had tissue repairs to register themselves in a specific section on this forum and then answer some basic feedback questions once a year, which were then compiled to allow forum members to see the services available nearest to them, the name of the surgeons, treatment options and associated rates of success (long term pain, other associated issues, recurrence rates, people fully back to their pre-hernia ‘normal’ etc), eventually over many years of gathered results.

I realise though that even if this was an internationally well publicised voluntary option, that it could be difficult to guarantee authenticity, as is the case when anyone currently posts on this forum about fantastic outcomes with certain surgeons, or surgeons talk about their success rates on here.

My understanding is that some countries do have official hernia surgery registries detailing hernia operations and outcomes over many years, but most don’t.

I believe Germany does, but I haven’t been able to find/access it.

I know the British Hernia Society is talking about creating one. In fact, they currently have a survey asking people for feedback about their proposed registry and here’s the link for anyone interested in completing it – https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfs4S5cuLpQQoZCiUvarFUMYRQwhTnslc1GaMOqX12EHhxTjg/viewform

I stumbled across it this evening.

In the further comments section at the end, I suggested:

‘For this proposed registry to be valid, it must include a section about (non-mesh) tissue repairs, so the registry is informative about all treatment options available to people with hernias.

The type of tissue repair carried out by the surgeon should also be detailed, such as Shouldice, Bassini, Desarda etc.

If such a registry was created, it would be the best possible resource for supporting patients to make an informed decision about their treatment.’

I digress! Anyway, re countries with existing registers, I don’t know if they provide the information that people looking for tissue repairs or just to be informed generally about hernia treatment options and outcomes, would like to know.

@drtowfigh, @drkang and any other doctors and forum members, can anyone signpost us to accessible registries in any countries that contain this type of information?

Many thanks

Good intentions replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies