News Feed Discussions Opinons re shouldice v kang repair

• Opinons re shouldice v kang repair

Posted by Unknown Member on October 3, 2023 at 7:14 pm

All I have been reading posts on this forum for quite sometime as I study the options for repairing my direct inguinal hernia. I decided to make an account to ask some questions. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I do not want to place a foreign object in my body but am troubled by the other options and am seeking clarity. I am considering the shouldice repair and the kang repair.

I watched the Shouldice repair a few times. It looks like a complicated surgery just to fix a hernia and there is a lot of blunt dissection and cutting, pretty much down to the floor of the inguinal canal, and then a lot of suturing to recreate it. You lose the cremaster function completely, although one can live without it. Things can and do go wrong in it, and I can see why it would lead to chronic pain also. The results and the tightness of the fascia afterwards are all in the hands of the surgeon. In fact I was sufficiently scared of a Shouldice to consider the kang repair and even open mesh. Can anyone offer an opinion on the kang repair as an option to shouldice. I see that is not as time tested.

Unknown Member replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Unknown Member

October 4, 2023 at 8:43 pm

The thread posted by David M certainly answers a lot of my questions. It seems like the shouldice repair is considerably more invasive because it attempts to ensure that any defects in the abdominal wall are fixed at that time. Kangs repair is less invasive because he does not create a large opening to search for other defects. His view is that the other defects are unlikely and by doing his repair you lower your risk of complications and chronic pain. So he believes most people are better off with his approach. Of course it might lead to more surgeries. Doesnt mesh solve this problem by just blanketing the entire area??

• Good intentions

October 4, 2023 at 8:26 pm

“. I was hoping Kody would report back to us as there are very few testimonials on here for any kind of repair. ”

Yes, it really is a shame that Chuck’s fake personalities and his/their constant badgering have driven so many earnest and honest people from the forum. He has kind of ruined things for everyone recently, including himself. Hopefully he’ll see the diminishing returns, assuming that he’s not trying to be destructive, and change his ways.

• Unknown Member

October 4, 2023 at 7:59 pm

I don’t know about all that. I was hoping Kody would report back to us as there are very few testimonials on here for any kind of repair. I saw some of your posts on using Chen for a mesh approach. Honestly Lichenstein seems like it might be the way to go. Shouldice is very destructive though it seems like the German surgeons have modified it so as not to cut nerves and the cremaster.

• Good intentions

October 4, 2023 at 4:57 pm

I’ve noticed that several forum members have disappeared after one of Chuck’s personas starts talking to them. I’ve wondered if he was messaging them and caused it to happen. Kind of ironic if “Chuck” is really looking for information. He ends up driving the people away that might have a new view.

• Unknown Member

October 4, 2023 at 4:45 pm

Kody was definitely real. I messaged him. But he was being attacked and maybe closed his account? I hope he returns to report about his kang experience.

• Good intentions

October 4, 2023 at 4:20 pm

Yes, definitely strange that Kody’s posts seem to be gone, as well as his account. Coincident with your appearance. One gets removed, another arrives. Maybe he wasn’t real after all. Just another one of “Chuck”‘s messes.

Carry on with whatever it is that you’re trying to accomplish.

• Unknown Member

October 4, 2023 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for the helpful link but there was not a comparison of the merits of the shouldice repair vs the Kang repair. I know a number of forum members have selected kang over shouldice to include Kody? Who seems to have vanished. It would be nice to know the true chronic pain risks of all these repairs. Maybe its impossible to know.

• Good intentions

October 4, 2023 at 9:56 am