News Feed Discussions Pain 2 Years Following Left and Right Inguinal Hernia Repair Surgery

• Pain 2 Years Following Left and Right Inguinal Hernia Repair Surgery

Posted by Marjorie B. on July 23, 2018 at 9:35 pm

My post relates to my 37 year old son’s pain that has been chronic and frequently acute and abdominal tenderness for all of the two years since he had laparoscopic left and right inguinal hernia repair with surgical mesh in July of 2016. (I am posting for Tyler as he does not have Internet connection at his residence.) He followed the prescribed aftercare plan and attended the follow-up appointment. Tyler contacted the surgeon 3 more times since his surgery with complaints of ongoing discomfort. He saw the surgeon again several months ago. The surgeon did a visual check and advised him that everything seemed fine. There is limitation to his access to other providers as he can only see those that accept patients covered by Health First, Colorado’s Medicaid program. About one month ago, the surgeon finally gave in to Tyler’s insistence for tests to determine the cause of pain. In the interim, we’ve conducted quite a lot of research and feel some kind of problem with the surgical mesh may be the source of pain. Tyler first had an ultrasound, which was inconclusive, then an MRI. The surgeon advised him the test showed no abnormalities or sign of recurrence of a hernia.

At this point, we are at an impasse. Tyler’s pain and physical limitations are at times debilitating and having a profoundly negative impact on the quality of his every day. We are earnestly hopeful those reading this that have had similar problems following hernia repair surgery may share their insights or suggestions.

Good intentions replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Good intentions

July 24, 2018 at 2:02 am

Hello Marjorie. I had a very similar experience to that of your son. I had bilateral TEP implantation of Bard Soft Mesh in December of 2014 by a well-respected experienced surgeon at a large well-known clinic, and eventually had the mesh removed at the end of 2017. It was uncomfortable from the beginning, with levels ranging from pain to just discomfort, even leading to penile dysfunction. More than just erectile. My surgeon’s response was very similar to your son’s surgeon’s response. A focus on recurrence, not pain.

Can you get copies of the medical records? They should be available from the facility where the repair was performed and/or the surgeon’s office. There is a very wide range of materials being used for mesh repair and many different techniques. There might be some clues there that will help define a path forward.