News Feed Discussions Pain after left Inquinal hernia surgery

• Pain after left Inquinal hernia surgery

Posted by Beenthere on July 14, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Here are a few questions that have been nagging at me about my care and follow up.

The morning after surgery I woke up in pain at the time for my next round of pain killers. After an hour taking the medicine the pain stayed the same or worsened at a level 8-9. My wife called the surgeons office but they did not return the call for almost 6 hours and than she was told they were to busy and to give me 2 Tylenol and call in the morning if still in pain. Is this correct response and treatment? I had two other types of surgery in the previously but not hernia.

Two days later I felt something let go in the surgical area and went in to be seen. The surgeon did a very basic exam and said nothing wrong but stated that he inserted the mesh so tight it would never move. Any or what type of short or long term side effects could this cause by having the mesh tightly inserted?

Last about six weeks later while driving I felt like a knife or a ripping internally in the surgical area. Pain level again went up into the 8-9 range with no help form OTC meds for a couple of months than put on 3 types of prescribed meds that reduced the pain down to 5-7 range but had a hard time walking, driving and normal activities. What type of follow up or testing should have been done to find the cause?

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

July 18, 2016 at 4:21 am

Pain after left Inquinal hernia surgery

A tight repair may imply a secure repair.

Alternatively, if the repair is too tight, just like an outfit that is too tight, it can rip and tear. This can cause pain but not necessarily a recurrence. It all depends on your body weight, circumstances of the repair, size of the mesh, etc.

Best is to reduce risks of pressure in the abdomen, which can be increased by constipation straining, coughing, weight gain, and certain activities.