News Feed Discussions pain medications after surgery/anti bruising ointments

• pain medications after surgery/anti bruising ointments

Posted by Dill on August 14, 2019 at 11:11 pm

Well I had my inguinal surgery this afternoon. I credit this forum for knowing the questions to ask and figuring out how to find a surgeon. The surgery seemed to go well. So now on to the recovery questions. I’m numbed up pretty good and it’s supposed to last for awhile so I’m not feeling much pain but I’ve been warned I might feel it after the numbness wears off. I was told to take Tylenol for pain and to call if I needed anything stronger. What pains meds have other people needed, taken, prescribed? Also I’m not supposed to put anything topical like neosoproin over the incision so I guess arnica lotion is out. I got some numeric. And ice packs. Open to hearing anything that worked for others. Prescription or natural. I wasn’t given antibiotics to take; I wasn’t sure what the protocol on that was but I guess not preventative.

DrBrown replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

August 17, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Dear Dill.
    I advise a list developed by Dr Towfigh.

• Arnica Montana, 12C – Take five sublingual pellets three times a day.
    • Alpha Lipoic Acid, 300 mg – This treatment can be effective in reducing nerve pain. It is difficult to extract from natural sources, so it is usually chemically synthesized. Take one capsule once a day.
    • Bromelain, 500 mg – Take one tablet twice per day.
    • Ginger Root, 500 mg – Especially effective in preventing nausea, it can also help reduce inflammation. It is harvested from the rhizomes of the tropical plant. Take one capsule twice a day.
    • Super B-Complex – This treatment helps reduce nerve pain. Take one tablet daily.
    • Turmeric, 500 mg – Turmeric is also harvested from the rhizomes of a plant grown in southern Asia. It helps the body reduce inflammation and decreases nerve pain. Take three tablets once a day or in divided doses.

Keep your bowels regular with milk of magnesia.
    You can alternate advil and tylenol.
    Ice packs.

Good luck.
    Bill Brown MD

• Dill

August 16, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Anything you recommend to your patients, Dr. Brown? I’m on post-op day 3–open no mesh inguinal. It was a long lasting nerve block so I was told to take only tylenol. To that I added Curamin, under the tongue arnica, and last night a CBD tablet. Last night was a little rough and I’m a little worried about the nerve block wearing off.

• DrBrown

August 16, 2019 at 4:03 am

[USER=”2758″]Dill[/USER]
    I agree that herbs can be very beneficial.
    Bill Brown MD

• kls007

August 15, 2019 at 12:08 am

Apply as much ice to the area for the first 48hrs as you can. That will help out tremendously with the inflammation, which in turn should help with some of the pain. For natural stuff look into arnica montana, curamin, curamed, boswellia or bromelain.