News Feed Discussions Pain on opposite side of recent repair, where old hernia was repaired…

• Pain on opposite side of recent repair, where old hernia was repaired…

Posted by ctguy on April 12, 2019 at 11:41 am

Came to this forum looking to see if anyone has had similar experience. My details…

I had open mesh/plug hernia repair on my right side about 15 years ago, mostly no issues although once in a while some minor testicular pain, no biggie. About 5 weeks ago had lap repair done on my left side (robot assisted) and all seemed fine as well. Recently started jogging and exercising and noticed a sharp pain on my right lower pelvic area, not exactly where my old hernia was repaired, but more 6 inches below my belly button and 2 inches to the right.

The doctor did check the old hernia area just to see what was going on and am wondering if the checking of the old hernia repair would possibly cause the pain I am feeling? I did get a copy of my operation notes and there was nothing mentioned regarding my old hernia repair other than he checked it and no re-occurrence on that side.

Is opposite side pain normal or am i just being impatient and it will go away?

Thanks all, this is a great site…

drtowfigh replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • drtowfigh

April 13, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Really depends on the seriousness of the symptoms

• ctguy

April 13, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Thank you, that’s kind of how I will try and handle. What would an approximate time frame be where if there is no improvement should I go get it checked?

• drtowfigh

April 13, 2019 at 1:39 pm

If the op report didn’t say much more than it was checked, then the area was just looked at. Anything more would require takedown of the peritoneum, etc.

Give it some time. If the pain does not resolve or improve, then you should get formally checked for a hernia recurrence on that side.

• ctguy

April 13, 2019 at 11:16 am

It is a 4″x6″ 3DMax mesh “secured to the Cooper ligament using a 2-0 barbed V-lock suture” (from op notes), not sure how it is positioned if it would even reach over to where I feel the issue. Also note, I only feel something when jogging/running. Normal everyday activities, I am not really feeling anything unusual.

• Good intentions

April 12, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Type of material used might be a clue also. And 5 weeks is still early. Getting back to work, and full recovery, are two different things.

Good luck. [USER=”2840″]ctguy[/USER]

• Good intentions

April 12, 2019 at 6:26 pm

I believe that “check” means poke, prod, and stretch the potential problem areas to try to find weakness. Also, from my limited understanding, the surgeon will firmly pull the testicles downward after surgery to ensure full range of motion for the spermatic cord. And the penis is generally tied up, with surgical sponge, or some other method.

So, there’s a lot more that goes on for the full procedure than just laying down a piece of mesh. Maybe something got overstretched. Plus, for TAPP, I think that adhesions are possible.

Do the notes say how big the piece of mesh was that was implanted? It’s possible that mesh was placed well beyond the site of the hernia.

Anyway, good luck. If you can share the details of your procedure, please do. Robotic surgery for inguinal hernia repair is still new. You’re at the leading edge.