News Feed Discussions Pain upon eating, 3 weeks post-op

• Pain upon eating, 3 weeks post-op

Posted by Kipper on July 16, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Hi, im looking for information about my condition from anyone who may have had similar problems. I had an incarcerated, strangulated ventral umbilical hernia 3 weeks ago. I got emergency surgical repair, open, direct, no mesh. Resection was not needed as blood flow was restored. My problem is that now, 3 weeks post-op, I still can’t eat much without suffering intense gut pain as my food is digested and passes through the intestine. I avoid the pain by eating just a couple bites of food 3 or 4 times a day, but this isn’t enough to sustain me. The doc says a colonoscopy is the next step, and I am trying to schedule that today. I am curious to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience. I can’t find anything like this in my internet searches. Thanks for any info.

Cyborg replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Cyborg

August 6, 2018 at 11:04 pm

I had/have umbilical and ventral. A so called repair 6/2016 with mesh. I am experiencing minor pain with eating as well. A couple of people have told me the same. I have asked multiple medical people which tests would show possible adhesions. The majority says that maybe a CT. I have yet to try as I am trying to find Drs to remove mesh. Good luck

• Good intentions

July 18, 2018 at 11:54 pm

I am not a medical doctor and have not had an umbilical hernia but the first thing that came to my mind was adhesions. Colonoscopy does not seem to be the common method of diagnosing adhesions though, so it’s not clear what your surgeon expects to find by that method.

Search small bowel or small intestine adhesion and you’ll find a lot to read. Good luck.