News Feed Discussions Post Desarda Repair

• Jnomesh

June 1, 2019 at 5:02 pm

@drbown
    Correct me if I’m wrong dr. Brown-but I believe you mentioned you use absorbable sutures in your pure tissue repairs. It would be great if you can weigh in on dr. Towfigs comments regarding permanent sutures as the standard for pure tissue repairs. Thanks

• dog

June 1, 2019 at 6:47 am

And what did he say ?

• drtowfigh

May 30, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Use of permanent sutures are standard of care
    for hernia repair, especially pure tissue repair . It would not be evidence based to say they should never have been there in the first place.

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 6:09 am
    quote ssonic99:

Thank you. Still waiting, but in the mean time, I must say there has been some improvement. I took the hernia truss off for an entire weekend and did not experience the symptoms previously discussed. Pain is a strange beast. This pain had gone on for 3 years before the hernia was finally diagnosed and I got it repaired. Outside of the muscle tissue still developing and scar tissue, could the nerves in that area developed a memory of this pain since it went on for so long?

how can i person post here?

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 6:07 am

Dr Robert Tomas told me I had a hernia, but I did not. He claims he does the Desarda technique which uses no mesh, but a true Desrada uses dissolvable internal stitches. Tomas opened me up two separate times because he said he missed it the first time. Then he sewed up my oblique muscle so tight with PERMANENT STITCHES and I was in agony during the surgery. I could not take a deep breath for almost two years. I ended up having to search for a surgeon that would reverse what he did and remove those awful stitches. It was a brutal surgery because the stitches had shredded my muscle. I can finally breathe now. I went through 2 years of hell for nothing. I had no hernia. What he said was a hernia is still there.I got very sick from those stitches because my body was fighting them and it turned into big granulomas. You should see the mess they took out of me. It was awful. I am now scarred and deformed. My bikini days are gone!! I will always be weak now from all the damage that was done by those sutures cutting into my muscle.

Be careful. Ask a lot of questions

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 6:07 am
    quote ssonic99:

This is what I’ve been thinking. I can’t find anybody who wrote reviews and journaled their Desarda Repair recovery online that talked about this kind of pain with varying bowel movements months after surgery. I sent an email out Dr Tomas’s assistant and patient liaison inquiring about this, this morning. Being that it’s Sunday, I probably will not hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest. I’m here in NJ, but basically would need a script for the scan. I hope it’s not a recurrence. I don’t have another $3,500 plus travel expenses to do it again. Actually his price increased this year I think to $3,750. My insurance only reimbursed me a little over $800 since he is cash payment only.

I had a surgery by Dr Tomas. It was for a hernia repair, but I did not even have a hernia, so I was cut open twice for no reason. Second surgery was so painful I could not take a deep breath for almost 2 years until I finally had someone reverse all that Dr Tomas did. It was a nightmare. I would never let him work on me again. My body is a mess right now. It made my pre-exiting back issues so much worse, too. The tension was so tight I could do no physical activity. Then I got really sick from the reaction my body was having from the permanent stitches he used when he was suppose to use dissolvable. I was very angry and upset when I found out he used permanent stitches. A true Desarda uses dissolvable stitches. That is what he was suppose to use on me. I had to have third surgery to reverse all that Dr Tomas did to me. It has been a nightmare for 2 long years for me. I feel like I have been beat to death. I also got an autoimmune disorder test later that came back positive for Lupus SLE. I was never diagnosed with that before surgery. The suture materials is the same stuff they use in the mesh. You should see what they took out of me trying to fix the mess that Tomas did to me. It was a brutal surgery, but I am better now and I can finally breath now that those awful stitches are gone that never should have been there on the first place.

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 5:44 am

Why is my post unapproved?

• SickofPain!

May 30, 2019 at 5:43 am
    quote kaspa:

Lets be frank, nothing here seems to discredit the surgery. Nothing tells the hernia isn’t cured so far and pain existed before surgery, so it’s not a surgery complication. Simply it didn’t disappear except for a few weeks post-op, which is a pity. IMO pain is a complex subject unfortunately and it won’t be easy to know what exactly must be done.

I wish ssonic99 all the best and a speedy recovery.

Dr Tomas will do as he pleases and does not tell the whole story of what he is doing.The internal sutures for a true Desarda are supposed to be dissolvable. Do you know if yours are permanent or dissolvable? If they are permanent, you can be getting pain from them because of the too tight tension they cause and also inflammation from the foreign body left inside of you. inflammation from that causes a lot of pain. It is MISERABLE.

• ssonic99

May 25, 2019 at 12:21 am

Thank you. Still waiting, but in the mean time, I must say there has been some improvement. I took the hernia truss off for an entire weekend and did not experience the symptoms previously discussed. Pain is a strange beast. This pain had gone on for 3 years before the hernia was finally diagnosed and I got it repaired. Outside of the muscle tissue still developing and scar tissue, could the nerves in that area developed a memory of this pain since it went on for so long?

• kaspa

May 13, 2019 at 9:10 pm

Lets be frank, nothing here seems to discredit the surgery. Nothing tells the hernia isn’t cured so far and pain existed before surgery, so it’s not a surgery complication. Simply it didn’t disappear except for a few weeks post-op, which is a pity. IMO pain is a complex subject unfortunately and it won’t be easy to know what exactly must be done.

I wish ssonic99 all the best and a speedy recovery.

• patient

May 13, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Hi ssonic99, thanks for sharing your experience,
    It is interested to know that desarda method does not work as expected and does not have the results Dr. Tomas claims to be.
    Hope it is not anything serious and you can recover soon!

• ssonic99

May 9, 2019 at 12:21 am

Got the MRI results back and according to the radiologist doctor, he/she does not see a hernia. I’m in process of sending the MRI CD to Dr Tomas’s office for review.

• ssonic99

May 4, 2019 at 1:11 am

[USER=”2826″]patient[/USER] I would definitely not deter you from a Descarda Repair. My situation is unique I think as far as my profession. My job is very intense. I don’t know your situation or the extent of your hernia or the health of your connective tissue. A Descarda Repair could be very well suited to your situation and nothing can substitute the opinion of a Doctor and getting imaging done. Get more than one opinion from doctors who are well versed in various forms of pure tissue repair. I was torn between Descarda and Shouldice. Descarda won out because of Dr Tomas’s online reputation and because my situation was rushed. I would have needed to lose another 15-20 lbs to qualify for a legitimate Shouldice Repair. That would have taken another 2 months with the diet I was on. My hernia was getting worse week by week noticeably plus in order to pass my DOT physical, I had to have a rapid plan of action to fix it.

• ssonic99

May 2, 2019 at 7:22 am

My MRI is scheduled for this Monday. I will find out soon enough and post the results and hopefully find out soon what Dr. Tomas has to say about it. The good news is my situation and pain doesn’t feel like it’s getting worse.

• patient

April 30, 2019 at 11:09 pm

@ssonic99 Hope you are doing well!, it would be nice if you can give us an update about your situation , I am interested in knowing if pure tissue repair as desarda are recommended or not? thanks!

• ssonic99

April 24, 2019 at 2:14 am

I received a response from Dr. Tomas’s assistant. He gave my chiropractor instructions to fill out a script for an MRI. I have the script and in the process of scheduling a right groin MRI with contrast. He seemed to indicate that the MRI may give false results due to pseudo lesions and that the area is still healing, but still seems to think the pain I feel is normal until muscle tissue adjusts to my level of activity. Dr Towfigh, it feels similar to my original hernia, just that the pain hasn’t started going into my back yet and I can actually pin point the sore spot. The truss does help. I really hope it is not a recurrence. In the event that it is failed repair, is it still possible to have shouldice repair?

• drtowfigh

April 23, 2019 at 5:21 pm

[USER=”2844″]ssonic99[/USER] your symptoms sound like a hernia. Dr Tomas should be able to help evaluate you for that.

• dog

April 23, 2019 at 7:17 am

Any updates?

• ssonic99

April 17, 2019 at 9:29 am

[h=3]Iliohypogastric nerve entrapment? Maybe?[/h]

• ssonic99

April 15, 2019 at 11:50 pm

Outside of any reports, my wife remembers Doctor Tomas telling her after the surgery was over that everything went well and that my muscle tissue was very healthy.

Page 2 of 3