News Feed Discussions Post Desarda Repair

• seeker

April 15, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Pretty sure he meant unusual.

• ssonic99

April 15, 2019 at 9:05 am

The pain builds up to the moment of defecation and slowly recedes after, but not completely. The area is always tender and painful to pressurized touch which is different. This pain is further exasperated with physical activity, especially lifting and long term standing. I’m assuming the fecal matter pressure builds up internally causing the pain to build. It’s even worse with a hardened bowel movement. The pain I would describe as a fatigue ache with a weakening feeling similar to what I had before surgery, but to a lesser degree. Before surgery I was forced to sit down with the pain and heaviness. No detectable or reducible bulge yet. That’s how the hernia started out last time and my family doctor told me for years I didn’t have hernia till one day I sneezed and out the bulge came with a popping sensation with almost every cough or sneeze. Location wise the pain is just above the genitalia to my right of the line of symmetry if you were to divide my body in half vertically. It’s very close to the bottom of the incision line just below where the healing ridge is fading.

I was told 6 to 8 weeks to return to work and received written clearance just over 6 weeks with graduated work duty for a couple of weeks. My work load was lighter than normal. Any serious heavy lifting was not done directly, but I used gravity assistance and a hand truck. I really did put the Superman cape away and I still have out of precaution.

My surgery was done at the Lee Health Hospital in Fort Myers, FL. Would they have the operative report? What do you mean by what was unusable during surgery?

• Jnomesh

April 15, 2019 at 2:52 am

Can you clarify a little bit in the relationship between the pain and the bowel movements.
    Does the pain act up before a bowel movement , during, or come about and persist after a bowel movement and was this similar to what you experienced before you had the surgery?
    Also always a good idea to get the operative report to see if there was anything unusable about what was found during surgery.
    Since you job includes lifting and bending what did dr. Tomas say about how much time would you need to recover and get back to the demands of your job?

• ssonic99

April 14, 2019 at 4:10 pm

This is what I’ve been thinking. I can’t find anybody who wrote reviews and journaled their Desarda Repair recovery online that talked about this kind of pain with varying bowel movements months after surgery. I sent an email out Dr Tomas’s assistant and patient liaison inquiring about this, this morning. Being that it’s Sunday, I probably will not hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest. I’m here in NJ, but basically would need a script for the scan. I hope it’s not a recurrence. I don’t have another $3,500 plus travel expenses to do it again. Actually his price increased this year I think to $3,750. My insurance only reimbursed me a little over $800 since he is cash payment only.

• drtowfigh

April 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm

You should have Dr Tomas re-evaluate you. Ultrasound or MRI preferred.

Page 3 of 3