News Feed Discussions Post-op nightmare, seeking help.

• Post-op nightmare, seeking help.

Posted by xmjhx on August 30, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Hello, I just found this forum, and I’m hoping I can find at least a small bit of help. I got a left inguinal hernia repaired (laparoscopic) about three months ago. I’ve had nothing but complications and pain ever since, I’ve been to the ER 3 times and back to see the surgeon 3 times as well. I’ve had ultrasounds and ct scans done, but apparently “everything looks fine”. I really strongly disagree that there’s nothing wrong, the pain I’m in doesn’t feel like “healing slowly” pain. It feels like “i’m reinjuring myself over and over again” pain. When I bend over, walk, go to the bathroom, move my left leg in certain ways, I end up getting a pain that feels like I’m ripping or popping something in my groin, and the pain doesn’t go away until I basically lay in bed for like 5+ hours. And then the cycle continues when I move again. The surgeon seems to be in denial that he could have possibly messed up, even slightly. The last time I was there, I decided to not talk to this moron again, because he felt my groin through my thick jeans (not even in the correct spot) and said I was fine. He refuses to take the mesh out and said to wait another 3 months (6 months after surgery) and if I still had pain, to see a chiropractor. ??? WHAT?!?! A chiropractor??? Am I missing something here.

Anyway, when I go to the bathroom, whether I’m urinating, or it’s a bowel movement, it feels like I’m being stabbed with scissors from the inside of my body, out. The pain is in my groin and goes up a little bit towards my abdomen. I just had a baby 3 months ago, and my fiance was on maternity leave until about a week ago. I literally cannot take care of my son right now, her mother had to take time off of work to help take care of him because of how screwed up I am. This was my second chance to try to get better, but time is going to run out again. I seriously need some help before her mother goes back to work, and I end up putting myself in a wheelchair from taking care of a baby (involves alot of bending over and lifting a bunch of times in short periods of times) which I really can’t do without making myself worse.

I live in Central Pennsylvania, I don’t drive but my fiance is willing to take me somewhere as long as it’s not too far. There’s something seriously wrong with my body after this surgery and I have a bad feeling no one’s ever going to take me seriously enough to really get to the bottom of it. Again, I don’t feel like this is “chronic pain” from the surgery, I really feel like this is “the surgery didn’t go right and I’m constantly injuring myself” pain.

Any/all advice is welcome. But I cannot just wait for months when my time is running out just to take a chance that the pain will go away. I’m not stupid, I know it won’t go away. Please help.

Edit: Overall, my general pain from when I first got surgery has been getting slightly worse over time. Not once since surgery have I felt that I was getting better, at all.

ajm222 replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ajm222

August 31, 2018 at 1:22 pm

So I think the surgeon is Dr. James Goodyear with the North Penn Hernia Institute in Lansdale, PA, north of Philadelphia.

• ajm222

August 31, 2018 at 1:16 pm

I think your instincts are spot-on. You shouldn’t be feeling like this at all. Most are a little sore and have to take it slow for a while, but the pain is generally pretty minimal, and should get better slowly over time. I also think your instincts about your surgeon are totally correct. Sounds like you desperately need to find someone else. I don’t have much else to add in terms of help, but I do know there is a surgeon that many on this forum recommend who is based in PA. Unfortunately I just can’t remember his name or precisely where he is located. I will do a search and try and find it. I’d call their office and see if you can get an appt asap. Could be a number of things. Maybe the mesh is coming into contact with a number of the many important nerves in the area perhaps. Or the mesh has folded or migrated. [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] or another surgeon here would be the best to respond. There also seem to be a few very good surgeons in the mid-atlantic and northeast who could help. Hopefully someone else can chime in.