News Feed Discussions Radicular Pain & Hernias?

• Radicular Pain & Hernias?

Posted by pmv on May 30, 2019 at 11:36 pm

Can any particular type of hernia cause femoral nerve pain that radiates into the hip, the buttock, and down the anterior thigh to the knee?

Is nerve pain that radiates (as described above) an indication that robotic inguinal hernia repair (performed 6 months earlier) on the affected side could possibly be the cause of the radicular pain, for example, by migration of Progrip mesh or by a nerve damaged from the surgery (performed 6 months earlier)?

Can a lumbar spine MRI assist in determining if the hip-to-buttock-to-anterior thigh radicular pain is in any way related to a particular type of hernia or related to the robotic inguinal hernia surgery (performed 6 months earlier).

Thank you,

pmv

Jnomesh replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jnomesh

June 3, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Momof4 were that able to for certainty say it was the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve with any special tests or only based on symptoms?
    also what is the name of the ground breaking procedure. is it any different then the other surgical options offered for merlagia paresthetica (LFCN)?
    im pretty sure I have damage to this nerve caused by mesh balling up. But it only impacts me when I’m sitting and not when I’m walking or lying down.
    so I don’t want to mess with any surgery or really anything right now but would be interested in hearing more about the surgery and surgeon(s)
    You can also PM me. Thanks

• Momof4

June 2, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Does an inguinal hernia or ilioinguinal neuralgia cause pain all the way down to the knee? I didn’t realize it went that far. I know it can radiate to the hip and around to the lower back/buttock because I’ve experienced that myself.

• drtowfigh

June 2, 2019 at 6:19 pm

[USER=”2894″]pmv[/USER] the symptoms are suggestive of an inguinal hernia. Also, sometimes of ilioinguinal neuralgia.

• Momof4

June 2, 2019 at 3:48 am

I haven’t really been able to get my pain to an acceptable level. It will be 2 years in August. It has been very difficult and on top of the leg pain and burning, I had several recurrent hernias that had to be fixed 1 year ago. I have a good pain management doctor and continued help from my hernia surgeon, so I am fortunate to have found good doctors, even if I had to travel! September cannot come soon enough! I will have ground breaking nerve treatment at Johns Hopkins. My leg will be numb, but numb is better than the pain any day!! I am hoping and praying for relief.

• pmv

May 31, 2019 at 3:32 am

Have you been able to get your pain under control? If yes, what works?

Did you have any imaging or other testing done to determine the location of the nerve injury?

I have not had any diagnostic nerve blocks. But I will discuss them with my pain medicine doctor.

Thank you for your response and suggestion.

I hope you are able to get control of your pain.

• Momof4

May 31, 2019 at 1:46 am

I have a lateral femoral cutaneous nerve injury after robotic mesh removal surgery. It causes constant burning and tingling pain in the front and side of my thigh. It goes from my leg crease to just above my knee. It started immediately after surgery. If yours started 6 months after the surgery, it may be caused by mesh issues and not the surgery itself. Have you had any diagnostic nerve blocks? This may help to identify the origin of the pain. Hope this helps!