News Feed Discussions Record Deadlift Saturday, Small Navel Bulge Sunday

• Record Deadlift Saturday, Small Navel Bulge Sunday

Posted by MichaelMahogany on August 4, 2016 at 4:47 pm

New guy here.

I’m a 69 year old Masters Division powerliter. I just competed on Saturday the 30th of July, and when I woke up on Sunday morning, I noticed a small bulge about a half inch below my belly button. I discovered this forum after doing a couple days of internet research, and I assume that I have sprung an umbilical hernia. My bulge is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, or less. It isn’t noticeable while standing, or lying down. It only presents when I apply abdominal pressure, e. g., valsalva breathing, and can be retracted with a push of the finger.

My questions:

Are “below the navel” hernias more uncommon than hernias that present in the navel, or above the navel?

Is the prognosis for an umbilical hernia dependent upon the precise location?

Does this type of hernia always advance in size? I have been lifting/training seriously for a number of years, and have well developed abdominal muscles & core strength.

I am currently visiting in California, and will be making an appointment with my VA physician upon my return to New Mexico next week.

I appreciate your assistance.

Michael

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • MichaelMahogany

August 8, 2016 at 2:45 am

Record Deadlift Saturday, Small Navel Bulge Sunday

Thank you, doctor.

• drtowfigh

August 7, 2016 at 11:00 pm

wearing a binder of sorts only helps if you have symptoms from the hernia. It does not prevent it from becoming larger.

• MichaelMahogany

August 7, 2016 at 9:36 pm

One more question, if I may.

Is wearing an elastic band around the abdomen counter-indicated with small navel hernias? I have a 3 inch wide elastic band that I can wear comfortably throughout the day without restricting blood flow. It seems to help with containing the bulge during normal activities.

Thank you!

• MichaelMahogany

August 7, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I believe you are correct in that what appears to be just below my belly button, is actually in the navel. My navel is slightly disfigured (constricted) due to an abdominal burn accident when I was an infant. This constriction probably makes the bulge appear just below the navel opening.

There is currently no pain associated with the bulge, only a sensation after I fiddle around with it. It is only noticeable when I push, or extend the abdominal muscles. It is not visible while standing, or lying down, and can be “tucked” back in with a fingertip.

After squatting, and bench pressing, I broke a national deadlift record last Saturday, so the amount of strain I experienced was substantial, and new. I had never pulled that much weight before. I noticed the bulge upon awaking Sunday morning.

I tried to snap a detailed photo, but was unsuccessful.

Thank you so much for taking time to address my query.

Respectfully,
    Michael Mahogany.

• drtowfigh

August 7, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for reaching out to our Forum. I hope you get your answers here, or at least some guidance.

Most umbilical/belly button hernias are at or just above the belly button. Perhaps what you notice to be below the belly button is actually at the belly button. I say this because there are no naturally occurring hernias below the belly button.

If you wish, reply with a picture of your hernia attached to your post and we can confirm this.

That said, the short answer is: no, precise location of an umbilical hernia does not predict outcome. Size is a better predictor: smaller is better.

In general, all hernias are at risk for increasing in size with time. That said, most powerlifters and athletes with strong core muscles do not have hernias as a result of their activity, unless there was undue strain. Once the hernia occurs, however, it is like a run in a sock or break in a zipper: it is likely to increase with more straining. The rate of size increase is unpredictable.