News Feed Discussions Recurrent femoral hernia & Iatrogenic sports herni

• Recurrent femoral hernia & Iatrogenic sports herni

Posted by Lee3540 on November 4, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Dr Towfigh
    We were told by your assistant to direct any questions to you thru this forum. My husband is a patient of dr Santos at md Anderson in Houston Texas. He recently contacted you and discussed my husbands case. We were told that the femoral nerve would need to be removed. What are the long term affects of doing this? And are there other alternatives such as a nerve block? Dr Santos is says he is willing and able to do the hernia surgery(although he’s never done this procedure) but could not do the nerve removal. We would just like your opinion on what the best plan is going forward.
    Thank you

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Beenthere

November 7, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Recurrent femoral hernia & Iatrogenic sports herni

Lee3540,

Sorry to hear about your husband. I went through this entire saga. First make sure you get the proper imaging done and have someone that specializes in reading this type of imaging to read it. I saw many quote experts with different opinions but you need to see and have this done by a true expert. There are very few that I would trust to do this in the US. Many have been named in this forum. After two years of trying to figure it out it was another hernia that was causing the pain.

Good Luck

Feel free to review my posts and ask any questions.

• drtowfigh

November 5, 2016 at 2:38 am

Recurrent femoral hernia & Iatrogenic sports herni

I thank you for reaching out!

I assume you mean genitofemoral nerve? In the right setting, this may need to be performed. I try to spare nerves as much as possible. In some cases if non-surgical portions fail at addressing nerve related pain then we can discuss this procedure. Non-surgical options include nerve blocks, usually done serially to gauge the outcome.